Working under the guidance and supervision of the Health Manager the medical officer will specifically be responsible for:
- Overall responsible for the daily clinical care of patients attending the Kakuma General and Main hospital.
- In coordination with the Matron of Hospital and the Health Manager, formulate hospital goals, objectives and intervention strategies.
- Ensure high quality of patient care by conducting regular quality of care assessments of the clinic and implementing recommendations thereof.
- Report notifiable diseases immediately. Evaluation of services through monitoring morbidity and mortality rates through monthly statistical reports.
- Review chronic cases at the special clinics accordingly.
- Identifying and coordinating referral of patients to secondary and tertiary facilities in liaison with the Health Manager.
- Conduct and supervise the daily morning ward rounds in the hospital.
- Participate in the Hospital 24 Hr Call system.
- Prepare weekly work/activity plans for him/herself for review by the Health manager
- Ensure a participatory and inclusive atmosphere by fostering good relations with all stakeholders including the hospital staff and members of the refugee community.
- Ensure high quality programming at the clinic with mainstreaming of the principles of protection (safe programming), disaster risk reduction and environmental awareness activities.
- Participate in camp health surveys and campaigns e.g. Nutrition, Immunization as may be required.
- Attend the weekly hospital staff meeting and the weekly Quality of Care Committee.
- Develop clinical protocols and procedures in line with current WHO/MOH and for OJT and theory sessions i.e. during CME’s, round and clinics.
Human Resource Management
- Monitoring and supervision of the medical staff under your supervision; both national and refugee to ensure that work is done properly and efficiently.
- Routinely monitor staff performance according to their job description and set objectives.
- Evaluation and appraisal of national staff through the IRC Performance Management
- Develop ongoing education programs for health staff as well as identifying their training needs.
- Review personnel issues and concerns of medical staff and assist with determining and implementing solutions. Consult the HM when need arises
- Monitor and ensure the proper usage of program supplies.
- Participate in annual program planning process and budget implementation. Recommend budget revisions to focus on priority areas and assist with rising of fresh bulk supplies orders every trimester.
Communication and Reporting
Monitor closely morbidity and mortality trends together with all the other health indicators.
Participate in and ensure that weekly hospital departmental meetings, quality of care committee meetings and monthly staff meetings are held in the facility.
Ensure adequate flow of information for all supervisees with constant feedback as may be required.
Carry out other relevant or requested duties as may be required.
Key Result Areas:
- Ability to provide technical guidance and leadership to the rest of the clinical team at the hospital.
- Ensure timely and quality health care services to refugees.
- Overall responsible for the daily clinical assessment and prescription of treatment for all patients attending the main camp hospital.
- Medical degree from a recognized University.
- Medical doctor registered with the Kenya Medical and Dentists Practitioners Board
- More than two years experience in a busy hospital setting.
Required Experience & Competencies:
- Excellent clinical and surgical skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Computer literate
- Good team player
- Ability to work in hardship areas
- Experience working with a non-profit humanitarian organization
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes. In the event that you receive any request for payment of any sort, please get in touch with us on Tel: +(254-020) 2727730, Email: IRCKenya@rescue.org or report to the nearest police.