Internews is seeking a Media Lead to be based in Nairobi for a 2-year project to provide high level technical expertise to Ethiopian journalists in research-based reporting and issue-based coverage. The position will require frequent travels to Addis Ababa.
The Media Lead will be responsible for overseeing the overall journalism training program implementation, which includes trainings, mentorship programs and production stipends to Journalists based in Ethiopia. The Media Lead will provide strategic guidance and leadership for the program; coordinate technical, legal and professional capacity building assistance to journalists and CSOs; ensure proper oversight of Internews personnel, financial management and administration; and coordinate with other stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication and complements other media development initiatives. The Media Lead will also be responsible for establishing strong partnerships and dialogue with the Ethiopia Government, donor representatives, media and other stakeholders in Ethiopia.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide general oversight of the program, including program management, strategic vision, budget management, fiscal integrity, quality and timing of deliverables, and coordination with partners;
- Design and lead technical activities, including media assessments, training and mentoring;
- Manage Internews staff and consultants that provide technical assistance to local media partners;
- Communicate challenges facing the project, and articulate the project’s successes in meeting those challenges;
- Responsible for the quality, cost, and timeliness of performance of all work performed under the funding contract;
- Responsible for the Monitoring and Evaluation of the Project;
- Prepare Quarterly and Project reports;
- Strategize new directions for Internews to help independent media;
- Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of local media in country;
- Develop and maintain contact with local stakeholders;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- 5 years of professional experience as a journalist or media manager preferably in Ethiopia; OR Relevant professional experience managing media capacity building projects in sub-Saharan Africa;
- Fluency in both English and Amharic required;
- An experience working with media on Democracy and Governance issues;
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing, and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded media projects and proven ability to develop and monitor work plans, training plans, and procurement plans;
- Demonstrated ability to manage a national staff and an international team of consultants;
- Strong interpersonal skills, necessary to maintain good relations with relevant stakeholders;
- Strong writing skills;
- USAID or USG experience is preferred.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.