Internews is seeking a Media Engagement Specialist for a potential USAID-funded media support project initiative in Indonesia. This position will coordinate closely with program-supported media outlets to assess and develop their technical capacity and financial sustainability. The Media Engagement Specialist will also contribute to the growth and independence of the media sector in Indonesia as a whole by building trusted working relationships with media outlets and practitioners and advising on selection of consultants, training topics, and agendas for project-supported events. This position will report to the Chief of Party and will be supported as necessary by Internews’ Asia team and administrative staff to ensure that activities comply with program objectives and USAID rules and regulations. The Media Specialist/Advisor will be delegated other management responsibilities by the project Chief of Party (COP) as appropriate, including staff performance management, project management and senior representation roles.
Note: This position is contingent upon receipt of funding
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Lead technical assessments of project beneficiaries to identify their needs and develop plans to address these needs; ensure that beneficiaries adhere to their plans to meet their stated goals.
- Provide technical expertise on design of relevant trainings, mentoring programs, and/or consultations to local media outlets to produce engaging, quality reporting that holds government to account; to address information disorder; and strengthen self-regulation.
- In collaboration with the Chief of Party, oversee development of training and event agendas, including identifying Indonesian and regional thematic experts to serve as trainers, mentors, and speakers. Provide in-person trainings, online webinars, master classes, and/or panel sessions as necessary.
- Foster development of national, regional, and inclusive ties for program beneficiaries to develop productive working relationships and information exchange within target countries and across the larger region.
- Manage program technical staff experts to ensure that program beneficiaries receive high quality, targeted support.
- Nurture relationships with media outlets and media support organizations in the region to identify potential program beneficiaries and extend the program’s potential reach.
- Support program reporting, monitoring and evaluation data collection from partners, and other administrative elements as necessary.
- Provide strategic, operational and representational leadership to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets on time and within budget, recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the program on track.
- Provide support as necessary for developing new relationships and business initiatives.
- Work with the Chief of Party, local partners, and local staff to design innovative strategies that support Indonesian media outlets and strengthen the media and civil society sectors holistically.
- Maintain in-depth understanding of issues affecting both the media community and the civil society community in Indonesia, including security and political factors.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values
- Proven experience in media advocacy and engagement on rule of law, human rights, transparency and accountability issues, or related fields
- Significant social and digital media expertise
- Prior professional experience in Indonesia
- Deep understanding of the media sector in Indonesia, as well as working knowledge of the broader media environment in Asia
- Experience implementing complex, multifaceted programs with demonstrated skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities
- Fluency in English and Bahasa Indonesia
- Graduate degree in communications, journalism or related field
- Experience in journalism training and media capacity-building preferred
- Experience providing technical assistance on USG-funded media and/or civil society projects in complex development environments highly desired
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to interact effectively with local and international partners, staff, and government officials
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.