The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation
DRC is looking for qualified candidates to fill the position of MEAL Officer in Azraq. The successful candidate will act as the focal point for MEL activities on select projects in Azraq base and in the North bases as assigned. This includes coordinating with the programme team, acting as the team leader for related data collection and supporting in tool development, data analysis, and output production. The M&E Officer will also play a role in the proactive dissemination and use of knowledge gained through MEAL activities through learning events as well as support in accountability processes.
About the job
The individual will report directly to Base Manager. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
M&E Planning and Implementation
- In collaboration with the MEAL Specialist, contribute to the development of monitoring and evaluation plans (MEPs) and MEAL workplans for DRC projects in Azraq and the North bases, ensuring that they are relevant and appropriate for the Azraq context;
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve MEAL systems and processes in Azraq and the North bases.
- Support in designing quantitative and qualitative monitoring and evaluation and needs assessment tools (focus group discussions, key informant interviews, household/individual surveys, post-distribution monitoring, participatory M&E activities, observational monitoring, etc.) and methodologies when needed.
- Coordinate with IM field staff and MEAL technical unit to follow-up on testing and piloting M&E tools.
- Act as team leader of enumerators during any assessments or monitoring and evaluation activities in Azraq, taking responsibility for timely and quality data collection;
- Support and where appropriate lead training of MEAL tools for other project staff and/or temporary enumerators in Azraq;
- Perform data entry of monitoring and evaluation activities where needed.
- Regularly undertake field monitoring visits for data collection (household interviews, post-distribution monitoring, pre- and post- assessments, focus group discussions etc.) and any required visits as planned with the MEAL Technical Unit;
- Support Irbid and Mafraq MEAL staff with data collection when needed;
- Identify and refer/report individuals with special needs, protection concerns, and any problems with DRC services to the protection referral staff;
- Support in cleaning and analysis of monitoring and evaluation and needs assessment data (quantitative and qualitative).
- Provide regular verbal and written feedback on field observations and monitoring findings to the MEAL Unit and relevant program staff;
- Provide support for MEAL technical unit in data visualization and report writing.
- Other tasks as assigned by the MEAL Unit.
Learning and Accountability
Support the MEAL technical unit to implement quarterly learning events, including any logistical or technical support needed, and ensuring proper documentation and information sharing post-events
- Contribute to the proactive dissemination and to the use of knowledge gained through MEAL activities among project teams and other relevant departments throughout life of the program.
- Support the accountability team in Amman in ensuring that beneficiaries and partners in his/her geographic area are aware of the proper channels and circumstances to report complaints and feedback. This includes conducting feedback and complaints mechanism (FCM) information sessions.
- Manage the complaints box in the community center and support in receiving and logging in person complaints.
- Provide ad hoc support to the Accountability Unit in Amman to handle the FCM hotline.
Coordination and Representation
- Build and maintain good working relations with staff from Azraq and other North bases;
- Routine travel to the other bases in Mafraq and Irbid as needed.
- Act as the coordination focal point alongside of other MEAL Officers in the base between DRC Jordan MEAL Unit and the Azraq programme team;
- Share weekly workplans with Base Manager and MEAL Specialist.
- Participate in MEAL Unit team meetings, workshops, trainings and other DRC events as required by the MEAL Specialist.
- Bachelor Degree in industrial engineering, social sciences, information management, data science or other relevant area.
- The candidate should have at least 2 years of relevant work experience in Monitoring and Evaluation systems in the humanitarian or development sector. Previous experience in Jordan and in a camp setting is preferred.
- Knowledge/experience with MEAL specifically, information management and accountability.
- IT and analysis skills, particularly Microsoft Office suite (Excel), SPSS and use of Kobo on tablets
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills
- Strong interview techniques
- Excellent training skills
- Understanding of how to ensure and address data quality
- Self-motivated and organized with a demonstrated capacity to manage time
- Capacity to solve problems with a positive outlook
- Fluency in Arabic and English required
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Designation of Duty Station: Azraq Camp
Start date: As Soon as Possible
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 26 July 2020
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.