With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
About EDF+Business: We believe companies, communities and the environment can thrive in unison – and we’re making it happen by leveraging the power of the marketplace. We combine cutting-edge science, economic expertise and unexpected partnerships to help high-impact companies – including Walmart, KKR and FedEx – transform business as usual in their products, operations, supply chains and advocacy. For more information: https://business.edf.org/ EDF+Business
Location: Washington D.C., Boston, or New York City
This position reports to the Director of Communications, EDF+Business. The Marketing and Communications Manager plays a significant role in the success of EDF’s work with business by:
· Utilizing expert marketing, PR and content experience to set strategy and manage execution of holistic campaigns that drive measurable results for our programs.
· Raising the profile of EDF+Business experts and initiatives with our target audiences.
· Mentoring marketing and communications staff and helping to lead cross-functional teams, with an emphasis on our supply chain and energy work.
· Ensuring exceptional operations for the EDF+Business marketing and communications team through effective management of meetings, budgets, negotiations, and contracts.
As a leader on the EDF+Business Marketing and Communications team, the Marketing and Communications Manager’s responsibilities will include:
· Building thought leadership through media relations, marketing and communication to measurably drive increased awareness of and engagement of EDF’s work with business.
· Managing and executing marketing and communications strategies for key EDF+Business project initiatives, including our work to accelerate business advocacy in support of federal climate policy.
· Independent accountability and decision making for marketing and communication strategy, execution and reporting for all assigned projects.
· Cross-functional collaboration with EDF programs and communications teams.
· Management of agencies and consultants.
· Proven ability to create, implement and report out on holistic marketing campaigns, encompassing PR, digital and content marketing, direct marketing, social media, event marketing and speaking engagements.
· Expert writing and editing skills
· Demonstrable success in cultivating media interest
· Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills
· The ability to lead, manage and mentor staff and cross-functional teams
· Independent problem-solving and crisis communications skills
· Excellent project management and organizational skills
· Bachelor’s degree plus minimum of 6 years of marketing communications experience is essential, preferably in an agency, large corporation or NGO
· Minimum 3 years of project management, staff management, and outside agency, consultant and budgetary oversight
· Demonstrable, hands on experience with media outreach, social media, messaging and content creation, and audience segmentation
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.