PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
PATH’s Market Dynamics program is currently recruiting for a Program Officer to work on PATH’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Specifically, the officer will support the Medical Device Portfolio within the Market Dynamics Program in growing its work increasing safe access to oxygen therapy.
The portfolio is leading a project as part of the global response to the COVID-19 pandemic. This project expands on previous PATH work in respiratory care with the aim to increase access to oxygen and equipment in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). The officer will work within PATH’s Programs and Innovation Division at PATH. The individual will work with Market Dynamics team members to define problems, conduct analyses, and apply findings to address market failures that restrict access to life-saving products and interventions.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Serve as the technical lead in Senegal for the organization’s market dynamics medical device project.
- Conduct baseline device inventories and rapid landscapes for select medical devices and potentially lead implementation of select pilot efforts
- Develop and implement intervention strategies for target markets – respiratory care product markets and other priority medical device markets – in global health to inform decisions of governments, donors, and other stakeholders.
- Manage data collection as needed. Data will be collected from health facilities and administrative sources. Clean and analysis data and produce visualizations, summary statistics, and reports to inform decisions for the COVID-19 response.
- Develop an asset management system alongside government to track new equipment procured for the COVID-19 pandemic. Link this system to an ordering system. Leverage lessons learned to guide expansion of the system to other medical devices.
- Support primary market research and market landscape projects for durable medical devices to understand the public and private market dynamics for these products in low- and middle- income countries, specifically Senegal.
- Engage suppliers or distributors of medical equipment, negotiate contracts, and understand constraints industry is facing.
- Engage donors and financiers including development banks to develop plans that alleviate constraints of suppliers.
- Develop and maintain a strong network of experts in PATH and externally.