Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Reporting to the Director of Online Fundraising and Advocacy, and working collaboratively with the Membership and Online Marketing teams, the Manager, Web Development is responsible for innovating and developing dynamic web and email-based member engagement digital products to support Membership’s multi-channel fundraising and advocacy programs across our three main brands: EDF, EDF Action and EDF Action PAC.
The role will focus mainly on managing web development projects — but will also require a collaborative approach to follow and support backend data management needs across multiple systems. This would include ensuring sourcing and other key business rules are maintained in a consistent and organized way to:
- Support robust data privacy/security standards.
- Feed analytics and reporting systems.
- Support the needs of other data management and segmentation end users.
- Serve as primary developer for web and email-based Membership campaigns. This involves working with Membership’s five main platforms: Adestra, Classy, Phone2Action, Personify, and Mobilize
- Develop dynamic and interactive web/form components
- Help maintain brand consistency across Membership platforms
- Maintain dynamic email templates and develop conditionalized message blocks
- Collaberate with Webteam in building cross-platform/site fundraising, advocacy and cultivation experiences
- Serve as immediate support to internal form producers/editors
- Serve as primary contact point with platform account reps and platform support teams regarding technical issues and data questions
- Develop automated testing to ensure integrity of key campaign forms
- Understand data flows and API integrations between Adestra, Classy, Phone2Action, Personify, Mobilize as well as following and supporting data integration business rules to and from other data platforms, i.e. Salesforce, Snowflake, BlueVenn, etc.
- As needed, support third party integrations and data appends
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Ideal candidates are well versed in front-end web development and can navigate multiple platforms in the data ecosystem with special focus on:
- SASS / CSS
- Gulp, Rollup (build processes in general)
- Site building
- Email building
- Experience interacting with APIs
- Familiarity with:
- Front-end frameworks like Angular, React and Vue
- Specialized education with two years’ experience or at least three years’ experience working as web developer with a strong background in setting up and managing dynamic digital campaigns and the data management skills needed to support integration and analytical needs.
- Both the technical skills required for the job and the ability to communicate effectively with non-technical marketing staff.
- An understanding of the entire web development process, including design, development and deployment, with some back-end knowledge.
- Work with the wider team to maintain graphic standards and branding throughout the development process.
- Keen eye for design and UX/UI. Bonus if you have experience creating design and UX/UI assets to implement.
- An enthusiastic, flexible, problem-solving approach with a keen debugger’s mind to anticipate and respond to evolving requirements and technical glitches as they arise.
- A demonstrated ability to multitask, project manage and prioritize multiple requests. And a willingness to work with a broader team to maintain, follow and as needed develop clear business rules to ensure data integrity and consistency across multiple platforms and with multiple collaborators.
- Ideally, the strongest candidates will also have a demonstrated understanding of standard constituent engagement strategies to recruit supporters, keep them inspired and engaged and ultimately to become long-term supporters of EDF’s core mission. In other words, the candidate must have a strong understanding of UI, cross-browser compatibility, general web functions and standards to develop compelling digital experiences.
- An outlook that reflects EDF’s core values of Optimism, Integrity, Innovation, Respect and Results. And being comfortable working with a geographically dispersed team, using email, Slack, phone and virtual meetings to stay connected.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive
salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities
consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 96,000 –
which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills,
training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.