Title: Manager – Urban Health and Capacity Building
Internal Title: IN Program Officer II
Division: South Asia Hub
Reports to: Lead – Health Systems – South Asia
PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships, and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges.
About the project
The urban population in India is growing rapidly, and by 2050 it will reach 877 million—almost two-thirds of India’s population. Contrary to the popular notion of easier access to healthcare in urban areas, the health indicators of urban poor are often comparable or worse than their rural counterparts – including immunization, cancer screening, out-of-pocket expenses, etc. While the urban poor are highly susceptible to infectious disease, they also bear the burden of non-communicable diseases due to their dietary practices.
To address this widening gap, the government has launched several programs for strengthening primary health care services in Urban India – National Urban Health Mission, National Health Policy (2017), and Fifteenth Finance Commission (XV FC). Despite these efforts, there is a need to draw policy and investment focus as well ensure implementation of national programs in the Urban Primary Health Care landscape.
PATH is providing Technical Assistance to states for improving access to primary health care services in select urban geographies. Under this goal, PATH will support the selected urban geographies with the following:
- Enhance the accessibility of primary health care services through Technical Assistance for implementation of National Urban Health programs and Quality Standards in Health and Wellness Centers.
- Strengthened capacity, efficiency, and resilience of the health systems.
- Catalyze community engagement for healthcare systems.
About the position
PATH is seeking Manager – Urban Health and Capacity Building for implementation and roll out of the Urban Health program. The Manager – UH and CB will work with the national and state government counterparts and to provide technical assistance and hand-holding support for strengthening urban primary healthcare across intervention geographies.
- Technical and thought leadership in designing, planning, integration and implementation of urban health program activities across intervention states.
- Work closely with national and state teams to develop, implement, and monitor state specific project activities including development of roadmaps, work-plans, activities, reports etc. particularly for urban health components.
- Support M & E team in evaluating the status of urban health implementation across intervention states to outline systemic and technical barriers and also derive strategies by bringing national and global best practices for improving delivery of urban healthcare in primary level settings.
- Devise strategies and support national and state teams in liaison with other departments of state governments like Urban Local Bodies, Municipalities/ Municipal Councils, Water and Sanitation etc. for convergent efforts in strengthening delivery of facility-based and outreach (including mobile units) services in the catchment area of urban HWCs.
- Develop and design continuum of care models by linking primary (with community-based care), secondary and tertiary healthcare facilities for enhanced access to quality healthcare.
- Define and develop special packages/ interventions with a focus on vulnerable groups like urban poor, migrant workers, slum dwellers etc. for improving provision of care and support.
- Work closely with various team members of the Technology, Innovation and System strengthening team as well as the project teams for the integration and implementation of the project in a timely manner.
- Design innovative solutions and support the team in new portfolio development.
- Assist the program lead in the coordination and execution of the program partnership and related program work.
- Support the team in coordinating the project management process internally within PATH & external stakeholders.
- Advocate the project teams in cities and states while collaborating between states to guarantee the project’s objectives are achieved.
- Undertake other tasks which may be assigned from time to time by the national or state leadership.
- Available to travel to states up to 20-30% of the time.