With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Work locations: TX, OK, LA, KS, NM
EDF seeks a talented and self-motivated Manager, Regulatory and Legislative Affairs, Midcontinent to play a critical role in the development and execution of EDF’s methane regulatory campaigns in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, New Mexico and Kansas. The Manager will be responsible for achieving policy goals by helping create and manage strategic coalitions and relationships with industry, regulators, policy makers, opinion leaders, community groups and other environmental NGOs. They will be deployed frequently to target states in the Midcontinent region and will serve as a day-to-day point of contact for our in-state resources. The Manager reports to the Senior Director, Regulatory & Legislative Affairs.
- Identify near-term leverage points and opportunities in the policy and political landscape for improving rules governing oil and gas development and reducing environmental and community impacts.
- Map pathways and strategies for improving regulation and industry performance for mission policy goals.
- Implement and oversee targeted strategies for developing and gaining consensus among key decision makers and thought leaders on policy prescriptions for achieving EDF’s policy goals – particularly through cooperative efforts between energy producers and environmental NGOs and supported through communications and outreach efforts.
- Develop and maintain relationships with state elected officials, regulators and agency staff, energy producers and service companies, local officials and community leaders, environmental NGOs, reporters, and other opinion leaders.
- Perform policy analysis and development for legislation and regulations, write research memos, communications pieces, and internal reports.
- Assist in identifying, hiring, and managing contractors in each of the target states; and help manage state and regional budgets, personnel matters and reporting requirements.
- Work in collaboration with EDF’s national policy team, field directors in other regions, and technical consultants and legal staff.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Undertake special projects as assigned by the Senior Director, Regulatory & Legislative Affairs.
- Master’s degree in public policy, public administration, or environmental studies plus at least 6 years of relevant experience.
- Strong understanding of state and regional policymaking, structure, and political processes.
- On-the-ground experience in the region and existing relationships with many of the following stakeholder groups strongly preferred: state officials and staff; leadership and staff at relevant state agencies; oil and gas operators, including executives, public affairs staff and HSE staff; oil and gas industry trade association leadership; business groups; staff at local, state, and national environmental NGOs; local/regional officials and civic leaders; leadership of state associations of city and county officials.
- Thorough knowledge of environmental and regulatory issues related to oil and gas production strongly preferred, particularly those dealing with climate, air quality, well integrity, water and waste management, infrastructure development, impacts to ecosystems and communities, and compliance and enforcement.
- Demonstrated experience crafting strategy for and managing public affairs campaigns, including managing consultants and field staff; message development and communications strategy; constituency outreach; multi-stakeholder coalition building.
- Demonstrated ability to independently recommend and determine approaches to completing projects and managing processes where precedents are not always available
- Results-oriented, self-starter with the ability to think strategically and work on fast-paced, dynamic issues.
- Ability to recognize and build on political opportunities for progress.
- Ability to work both independently and as a leader or member of teams in a dynamic and creative environment with colleagues and partners of varied background and experience.
- Detail oriented and organized self-starter, strong project management and execution skills
- Excellent strategic thinking skills and judgment; able to professionally represent EDF with varied stakeholders
- Able to adapt to frequent change and prioritize effectively under constant deadline pressure.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Excellent research and analytical skills and an interest in performing rigorous analysis in support of highly visible work is a plus
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.