With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
You are applying for a job with MethaneSAT LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Environmental Defense Fund.
The location for this position can be flexible in the United States including the option to work remotely from home. [San Francisco, CA, Austin, TX, New York, NY, Washington, DC, Boston, MA, Boulder, CO]
This is a 3 year Fixed Term Contract with benefits.
MethaneSAT, LLC, an affiliate of Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is launching a new, high performance, purpose-built satellite—MethaneSAT—to map and measure oil and gas methane emissions worldwide, with the potential to assess emissions from the full range of man-made sources. The satellite will enable us to gather methane emissions data on a global scale and with data from other sources, locate and quantify these emissions. Data from MethaneSAT will help EDF reduce methane emissions by 45% by 2025 and holds the potential to help reduce the temperature of our planet by as much 0.5 degrees C by the end of the century. This could be the most impactful environmental project yet conceived.
The Manager is a key staff member on the MethaneSAT team responsible for supporting overall project implementation. The Manager will be acting as a leader and representative of the MethaneSAT team with diverse internal and external stakeholders while managing complex portions of the project. Particular areas of focus include global infrastructure database development and targeted audience and collaborator engagement, project and entity governance, among others.
The Manager will report to the Director, SATMgmt, and will work closely with other MethaneSAT, LLC staff, key contractors, and EDF staff.
- Under direction of the Director, SATMgmt, the Manager will manage discrete projects within MethaneSAT where troubleshooting and problem-solving in areas without precedent is regularly required;
- Proactively identifies projects, and areas for improvement, efficiency, and project betterment and works to solve problems and implement solutions;
- Engage with consultants, scientific and industry partners to ensure efficient and successful operation of our program objectives and project goals;
- Coordinate and identify synergies with EDF to ensure all lines of communication are kept open and collaboration thriving;
- Translate program and project needs into actionable items to inform decision-making and liaise and coordinate with appropriate EDF programs and other partners where necessary;
- Assist in preparing program materials for both internal and external facing audiences;
- In conjunction with the Development team and program staff, draft and edit proposals, grants, and interim reports, when appropriate;
- Work closely with finance, HR, and legal and other departments to assist in project operations;
- Assist with content development, organization, and tracking for governance meetings, presentations, websites, blog posts, and internal communication opportunities;
- Participate in standard contract negotiation ensuring vital legal consistency;
- Manage document repositories, working with new management tools for proactive tracking, management, and systems operation;
- Serve as key contact for our IT and other support teams;
- Advance EDF DEIJ goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental challenges we face. This includes fostering equitable systems and empowering diverse constituencies both internally and externally.
Bachelor’s degree in a related or applicable field with 6 years of project management or other professional experience or advanced degree with four or more years of relevant experience.
Ability to translate complex science and technical information to non-scientists stakeholders;
Proven project management and organizational skills and demonstrated ability to independently recommend and determine approaches to completing projects and managing processes where precedents are not available;
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) and ability to apply communication skills to persuade, influence, and lead others;
- Ability to lead and collaborate with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience;
- Strong ability to work independently on a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload;
- Affinity for a fast-paced work environment;
- Demonstrate cultural awareness and the knowledge, attitude, behavior, and skills that lead to a culturally competent workplace. Demonstrate a commitment to continued self-assessment, learning and growth to increase and broaden culturally competent skillsets that produce effective interactions with people across diverse cultures, backgrounds, and time zones. This includes the ability to adapt to cultural change.
A high degree of diplomacy to manage and influence key stakeholders, teams, and new, developing partnerships.
Experience in the space industry, methane science and policy, and/or public administration preferred.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.