New York, NY
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
The role of Gift Processing Manager will report to the Senior Financial Operations Manager and be responsible for the supervision of a department that maintains the entire company’s donor databases while providing requested support services for the fundraising efforts of the Environmental Defense Fund. These services are performed for multiple fundraising constituencies and offices, both in the US and International. S/he will be responsible for using data resources and internal staff effectively, as well as working with fundraising staff to create and implement strategies that address the organization’s data management needs while servicing a growing base of supporters and prospects.
- Supervise a staff (of currently 3) to ensure accurate & timely gift processing.
- Maintain and manage relationships both internally (programs/departments) and externally (vendors/3rd party service providers).
- Oversee gift adjustments, as well as receipt and processing of donation deposits via: cash, checks, wires, stock, EFT/ACH, credit cards, etc.
- Prepare month end general ledger file exports.
- Manage financial reconciliation between donor management system, general ledger and bank accounts.
- Coordinate month end reporting requirements related to donor management system data. Work with staff to design and develop additional monthly reports for management.
- Assist development, finance and membership departments in reconciliation of income data.
- Develop and enforce business rules and procedures for processing donor information including gifts, biographical information, contact management, and all other fundraising related data.
- Ensure proper data governance.
- Review of prospective pledges.
- Manage the administration and creation of campaign codes.
- Create and maintain documentation on business rules and procedures.
- Develop additional Salesforce / Luminate CRM reports as needed.
- Meet with development and membership teams to review fundraising plans and priorities.
- Work with IT Business Applications to develop new procedures for data processing and extend the functionality of the donor management system as needs arise.
- Provide project management and oversight of fundraising data projects.
- Work with fundraising and finance staff to discuss their data use with a goal of understanding their operational needs and providing them appropriate and timely information.
- Keep up with current governmental regulations and general laws applicable to non-profit agencies/fundraising.
- Manage vendor relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree. Preferably with concentration in Accounting and/or Finance.
- At least 5-7 years of experience in non-profit gift processing/donor records, or related field with emphasis on process and controls.
- Donor database management experience. Luminate CRM or Salesforce a plus.
- Must possess the ability to learn, navigate and become proficient in various donor records and other software applications (i.e. Convio, Great Plains). Proficiency in Microsoft office.
- Proven ability to effectively supervise and mentor staff.
- Project management skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to perform well in fast-pace, multi-task workplace with changing priorities and tight deadlines. Must be self-motivated, creative, and attentive to details.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience in direct marketing or direct mail fundraising preferred.
- Experience managing multiple vendor relationships.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.