With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Manager, Energy Communications will be responsible for conceiving, managing and producing stakeholder engagement and thought leadership opportunities supporting EDF efforts to reduce methane emissions from the global oil and gas industry through policy advocacy, industry and investor outreach, and the unique emissions data stream generated by a satellite scheduled for launch in 2022 by EDF subsidiary MethaneSAT.
They will have the experience and ability to carry out effective marketing strategies to raise the visibility and understanding of our efforts through a variety of media channels (both earned, owned and paid) as well as conferences, trade shows, webinars and other events.
Reporting to the Senior Communications Director, Special Projects and Emerging Issues and working in close coordination with the Senior Manager, Energy Communications, this critical team member will help us deepen our knowledge of, and relationship with, key strategic audiences, and developing targeted strategies to build brand awareness, support for business and policy solutions, and uptake of science and data products from both EDF and MethaneSAT.
- Identify, analyze, and understand where key brand and stakeholder audiences interact, including social media communities, trade and professional groups, conferences and events.
- Stay actively abreast of competitive intelligence and marketplace opportunities and challenges, including monitoring and benchmarking industry developments.
- Create comprehensive event project plans with timelines and production overviews, conduct regular checkpoints with workstream owners, and escalate risks/challenges appropriately.
- Work cross-functionally with product, advocacy, business engagement teams to craft marketing plans for target verticals.
- Manage digital strategies including native content, organic posts, ads and other online content. Monitor and maintain @MethaneSAT Twitter and other social feeds.
- Develop materials, content and collateral including expert communiques, product presentations and Q&As, speaker abstracts, PowerPoints, and speeches/remarks.
- Produce thought leadership content including blogs, op-eds, LinkedIn commentary posts, and other compelling material under rigorous deadline pressure.
- Build and maintain media contact lists, field incoming press queries, and participate in story/news pitches as needed.
- Track and measure impact and effectiveness of all marketing programs and optimize resources against objectives and budget.
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- 6+ years of related experience in marketing communications preferably involving science & technology; data marketing; energy/oil & gas industry; and/or public policy advocacy.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required.
- Strategic writer and skilled editor with outstanding attention to detail; experience crafting and editing high-quality communications from start to finish; capable of developing strong and compelling stories about complex topics
- Poise and presence working with senior executives in a highly cross-functional and collaborative environment.
- Experience planning and executing in-person events, from in person pre-planning all the way to on site execution; familiarity with virtual event production and platforms/tools.
- Ability to create, implement and report out on communications campaigns, encompassing PR, digital and content marketing, events and speaking engagements.
- Hands-on experience with social media research, tracking and engagement, including messaging, content creation and audience segmentation. Demonstrable success using social media platforms, tools and tactics.
- Accuracy and thoroughness with an eye for detail and an appreciation of nuance, with outstanding communication skills. Able to troubleshoot and resolve last minute needs in fast-paced, high-visibility situations.
- Presentation skills with graphic and/or web design experience a strong plus. Proficiency with Excel and PowerPoint.
- Helpful to have working knowledge of Salesforce, Adobe Creative Suite and/or Cision.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively within a team environment and capable of working independently.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Willingness to travel to various locations for events, up to 50% at times, including some weekends when in-person events return.
- Preference for candidates fluent one or more languages in addition to English.
Energy Program Overview
The goal of the EDF Energy Program is to bend the curve on greenhouse gas emissions from oil and gas production and use by 2030, while meeting the world’s energy needs cleanly and equitably. We are achieving this through a defined set of objectives targeted at 1) reducing emissions from oil and gas production, delivery, and use, and 2) reducing demand for oil and gas in power generation, transportation, buildings, and industry. To achieve our goal, we seek reforms in law, regulation, and/or business practice through a set of strategic corporate partnerships, direct engagement with policymakers, and mobilizing investor and public sentiment in favor of change. In achieving our objectives, we facilitate cutting-edge science, technical innovation, and rigorous economic and financial analysis to develop durable solutions.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.