The National Democratic Institute (NDI) is seeking a long-term analyst (LTA) coordinator for the International Election Observation in Kenya (IEOK). In partnership with the International Republican Institute (IRI), the IEOK seeks to promote a more transparent, inclusive, and legitimate electoral process and demonstrate international interest in and commitment to the credibility of Kenya’s 2022 elections through international observation based on regional and international standards. Working in close coordination with NDI/HQ and based on NDI’s established international observation methodology, the LTA coordinator will be responsible for overall technical and administrative management of the long-term analysts (LTAs) in consultation with support staff in DC and with the support of local program staff in Nairobi.
With the elections anticipated in August 2022, the overall program timeframe would cover five months in the pre-election period – approximately from April 1 to August 31, 2022. The LTA Coordination position would cover 3.5 months of this period and deployment to Nairobi during this timeframe is required.
- Provide direct management and oversight of LTAs, including: developing scopes of work, onboarding, reporting plans, deployment, and internal briefings.
- Maintain regular communications with LTAs and produce LTA summary reports that feed into internal reports for NDI and IRI that provide analysis of political developments, observation findings and updates on mission activities, and contribute to the final IEOK report.
- Provide direct management and oversight of local LTA support staff, including developing scopes of work, and ensure effective collaboration between and among IOM-related DC and Nairobi teams
- Work closely with NDI and IRI in-country and headquarters staff to identify and assess project risks and manage appropriate security measures for the mission;
- Work closely with the Finance Manager in overseeing the project’s budget and expenses in country, along with the submission of financial reconciliation statements;
- Become familiar with Kenya’s constitutional and legal framework for elections, overall political environment, and issues being handled by LTAs
- Take on ad-hoc thematic issue analysis and backstop LTAs as needed.
- Develop regular communication with key election management body (EMB) officials, political party leadership, and CSO watchdog organizations, as well as other international missions
- Travel to regions outside of Nairobi as necessary;
- Coordinate with NDI/HQ to ensure that IOM activities meet the standards of the Declaration of Principles and incorporate lessons learned in other long-term observations; and
- Support the activity of the mission and of the international observers in any other aspect as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field of study related to international development; graduate degree in political science, international relations, public policy, law, or related field preferred.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience working in democratic development and governance, with experience in the field of electoral processes preferred
- Proven capacity to meet program goals while managing financial, administrative and security responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure in a sensitive political environment
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of an internationally and culturally diverse team, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity
- Exceptional interpersonal and managerial skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of local stakeholders and foreign government personnel
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills to effectively present information in a clear and persuasive manner
- Analytical skills for interpreting complex program and political issues, and ability to accurately convey analysis in public reports
- Experience working and living in sub-Saharan Africa preferred
- Experience as a long-term analyst or coordinator on an international observation mission preferred
- Superior oral and written communications skills to effectively present information in a clear and persuasive manner in English.
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications; experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, please apply as soon as possible.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related conditions.
To apply please visit our website at http://www.ndi.org/careers.