Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a leading nonsectarian, non-governmental organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and other persons fleeing war, persecution and violent conflict. In the United States, IRC provides assistance to refugees from around the world who have been approved by the U.S. federal government for resettlement. The IRC in Miami serves refugees, asylees, victims of human trafficking and other immigrants who live in South Florida.
The logistics volunteer is needed to assist the logistics coordinator at the Miami office. The volunteer/intern will be assisting in preparing for the arrival of new refugees and with the office’s furniture donation project. Must be able to commit to 16-20 hours per week, preferably Mon-Wed. This is an UNPAID position.
- Assist in preparing apartments for new refugee arrivals
- Assist in procurement and distribution of household supplies
- Assist in picking up and distributing donated furniture and household items
- Assist in arranging donations in the warehouse and receiving them when needed
- Other related duties as assigned
- Energetic, empathetic, organized and ready to do a variety of jobs
- Detail oriented
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English
- Proficiency in a second language preferred: Spanish, French
- Minimum 2-3 months, 16 hours per week
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Reliable transportation with proof of valid driver’s license, insurance and clean driving record
- Willing to adhere to IRC Volunteer and workplace policies