SI is seeking a multi-talented and energetic individual to serve as the local Research Assistant on a three-person research team. The team will include a Team Lead, a Senior Expert in gender and social inclusion, and the local research assistant. The Research Assistant may support the team in logistics, interpretation, and/or data collection and analysis, depending on the needs of the team and skills of the individual. The position is level of effort-based and includes travel within Sri Lanka for approximately two weeks in March 2020. The Research Assistant will report to the Social Impact Project Manager.
**Please note: This is a local position. Only Sri Lankan citizens will be considered.**
- Support preparation of a data collection plan, specifically assisting the team in planning the logistics for a detailed data collection schedule and translating data collection protocols into local languages, as needed.
- Prior to fieldwork, support preparation of fieldwork logistics, such as hotel, ground transportation, and arranging meetings, under direction from the Team Lead and Social Impact management team.
- During fieldwork, support key informant interviews (KIIs) and focus group discussions (FGDs) with identified stakeholders in Sri Lanka, through either interpretation or notetaking, depending on the team’s needs.
- Support the team in cleaning and analyzing data, as instructed by the Team Lead
- Work closely with SI HQ team and communicate in a timely and effective manner with all project personnel.
- Bachelor’s Degree in degree in social sciences or relevant field
- Fluent in Sinhala and Tamil, with strong working proficiency in English
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail
- Prior experience in qualitative data collection/research, preferred
- Prior experience interpreting from Sinhala and Tamil to English and vice versa, preferred
- Prior experience in logistics/coordination of teams or events, preferred
- Ability and willingness to travel within Sri Lanka for fieldwork in March 2020