Learn to Read (LTR) is a five-year USAID-funded Activity beginning on August 15, 2018 and ending on August 14, 2023. The goal of the Activity is to improve reading skills for all children in pre-primary through second grade, with a particular focus on non-Lao-speaking children and children with disabilities. This will be achieved through providing supplemental materials (Result 1), teacher training and support (Result 2) and community engagement (Result 3) programming. The Activity supports and advocates for improved, evidence-based pedagogical support for non-Lao-speaking children within the national policy environment, as well as provides a practical model of how existing policies on inclusive education can be implemented at the school level. Inclusive education efforts will take place across all three result areas and will highlight inclusion in materials design, pilot teacher training and support to the main teacher training activities, and community engagement.
SI is seeking two notetakers to support the LTR Midterm through keeping detailed records of all qualitative data collection activities, including in-person and virtual focus group discussions (FGDs) and key informant interviews (KIIs). They will work closely with the Local Evaluation and Education Specialists to take accurate, comprehensive notes and produce clean written reports following each data collection event. This is a temporary, short-term position that will be reporting to the Team Lead working closely with the SI management team. The notetakers are required for approximately 17 days of LOE from early June through mid-July, 2021.
**Please note: This is a local position. Only candidates with Lao citizenship will be considered.**
- Meet with the Local Evaluation Specialist and SI project staff before events to understand the event objectives, flow, and notetaking priorities.
- Make logistical arrangements as needed.
- Take clear, understandable notes (near verbatim when possible) based on the event, including documenting notes from KIIs, and synthesizing key information as needed.
- Translating notes (and other relevant documents as needed) from Lao into English. Assure the quality of the translation of data collection instruments and the notes.
- Ensure deliverables are in line with the client’s preferred format (e.g., consistent use of hyphens, capital letters, heading colors, etc.).
- Maintain clear and regular communication with the research team and HQ support staff and ensure the HQ team is made aware of any risks, problems, or challenges that arise in a timely manner.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least two years of professional experience
- Previous experience with qualitative data collection strongly preferred
- Ability to document discussions accurately and synthesize information quickly and effectively.
- Demonstratable experience in notetaking in a professional environment.
- Lao citizen
- Ability to maintain high-quality work with minimal supervision and tight deadlines.
- Fluency in English and Lao
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com.
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.