Gender Specialist, Women’s Leadership in Small and Medium
Enterprises Impact Evaluation in India, Chennai, India
USAID’s initiative on Women’s Leadership in Small and Medium Enterprises (WLSME) in India aims to address women’s relative absence in the cashew processing sector in order to promote broad-based economic growth and poverty reduction in terms of higher productivity and efficiency gains. The programs focus on addressing critical barriers that limit women entrepreneur’s contribution to the economy, including external constraints, human capital constraints, and information and network constraints across contexts.
**Please note: Only Indian citizens are eligible for this position.**
The Gender Specialist will support the MSI evaluation team in the endline phase for the evaluation, starting on or about February 1, 2017. The key role of the Gender Specialist will be to lead the sixteen focus group discussions, but there is also a coordinator component to this position with respect to survey data collection. The Evaluator may be based in Chennai, but most of the field work will take place in the Panruti block of Cuddalore district. Expertise in qualitative research methods and conducting focus groups, as well as research experience relevant to women’s leadership in SMEs is required.
The main responsibilities of the Gender Specialist are to:
- Provide feedback and revisions on the focus group question guides for appropriateness and relevance given the context of the WLSME project;
- Lead and facilitate sixteen focus groups discussions (FGD), with logistical support from partner survey firm;
- Summarize findings from the FGD into concise reports;
- Interact and coordinate with the survey firm to ensure timely submission of focus group data, including audio recordings, transcripts translated into English, attendance sheets, and signed informed consent, as well as, submission of data collection progress reports;
Other responsibilities will include:
- Review translations of the English survey questionnaire and focus group guides into Tamil;
- Participate in the training of the survey team and oversee and monitor survey data collection through field visits and data entry quality assurance;
- Participate in weekly conference calls with the MSI evaluation team to provide updates on the data collection progress; Perform other technical tasks as assigned by the evaluation team.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible work experience demonstrating expertise in qualitative research methods, including implementing and leading focus groups.
- Knowledge of Tamil Nadu context in terms of women’s presence in the cashew processing sector, constraints to entry, and skills trainings.
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills to work diligently with remote evaluation team.
- Master’s level degree(s) or equivalent in relevant field, such as anthropology, sociology, gender studies, international development, or other.
- Fluency in Tamil and English required.