The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international humanitarian organization founded in Denmark in 1956. DRC implements relief and development activities in more than 30 countries throughout the world, assisting more than 1.5 million people of different ethnicities and religions. DRC is a non-governmental, non-political and non-religious organization – and in DRC, people’s right to a life with dignity takes precedence over politics and principles.
DRC has been operating in Myanmar since May 2009 and in Rakhine State since 2010, responding to the humanitarian needs in the aftermath of the Cyclone Giri. DRC has recently expanded its programme providing shelter, WASH, NFIs, livelihood support and community assistance to the people affected by the June and October 2012 events in Rakhine State. DRC Myanmar in Rakhine State is funded by ECHO, SDC, DFAT, USAID and UN agencies, including UNHCR, UNICEF and UNFPA.
To strengthen DRC’s Programme in Rakhine State, DRC is looking for highly motivated and capable candidates to fill the position of
Livelihoods Officer -Community Organizing -Community Development (1) Post
Duty Station : Maruk Oo Office, Rakhine State
Report to : TL- Livelihoods
Overall purpose of the role:
The purpose of this position is to support the delivery of DRCs in organizing and capacity building of village development committees and other community based groups in target communities including guidance to field teams in implementing the activities as outlined in the approved project documents.
- Apply technical skills and expertise in participatory and inclusive community development to promote increased opportunity and capacity for Village Development Committees and other community based groups / association in implementing and sustaining community projects;
- Provide training and mentoring to community stakeholders / leaders (i.e. VDC) and field staff related to community leadership, decision making, communication, negotiation and conflict resolution skills and community based organization development;
- Develop strategies, operating procedures and standards, and other activities in community mobilization –organizing, village development committee organizing, and ensure adherence of field staff and needed support;
- Develop and/or adapt implementation tools, training materials, IEC materials and other documentation relevant to assist field teams to effectively and consistently implement quality sector activities;
- Support in establishing and maintaining relationships with community representatives, government counterparts, and other humanitarian agencies, ensuring transparency and coordination;
- In coordination with the Livelihood Manager or Livelihood Team Leader and other field staff, liaise with Admin, Finance, M& E and Logistics staff for organizing and planning of assistance delivery;
- Ensure that activities conducted by livelihood/community Team follow DRC standards and guidelines;
- Keep accurate data records and liaise; prepare internal reports updating on activities (in English);
- Promote a safe and secure work environment; foster a culture of safety and security awareness and consistently follow DRC code of conducts, safety and security policies, and directives; and
- Perform any other tasks as instructed by the Livelihoods Team Leader and Manager and – in his/her absence.
Qualifications and minimum requirements
- University degree (BA/BSc) in Economics, Business, or Social or Community Development or the related course;
- At least 5 years’ relevant work experience in any or combination in the field of community organizing- mobilization rural or community development, community-based livelihood projects or organizing and capacity building of village development committees preferably working with a humanitarian or development organization;
- Preferable experience in implementing livelihood projects, cash transfer program / village development grants, social cohesion, or capacity building of community based organizations;
- Demonstrated ability in community facilitation, building rapport, and trusting relationships with communities, governments and experience of participatory needs assessments and community planning;
- Experienced in day to day line management of staff and leading a team through coaching and mentoring;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills as well as having a good knowledge of cultural sensitivity; with the ability to lead teams with minimum support
- Flexible and prepared to travel intensively in the region by car and boat, in rural villages in Mrauk U and Kyauktaw.
- Prepared to work with both Rakhine and Muslim communities;
- Confirmed experience and/or academic background in community development planning, programme design and implementation is a strong advantage
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- English (Proficient speaking and writing)
- Myanmar ( Fluent)
- Local Language (Rakhine) is an advantage
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. “
- Understanding of operational context in Rakhine State.
- Basic understanding of humanitarian response principles.
- Starting date of employment: September-2019.
- Contract: Regular DRC staff contract, including a probation period of 3 months;
- Salary: Competitive salary according to DRC Myanmar salary scale.
This position is open for Myanmar Nationals only. DRC strongly advocates for equal opportunity and promotes a diversified and inspiring working environment. Women are strongly encouraged to apply this position.
Application process: Applicants who meet the above-mentioned requirements should apply by submitting their applications in English (consisting of Cover Letter and CV of no more than 2 pages, including contact details of 3 professional references) by clicking apply button.
- CVs submitted without mentioning Job Title will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted applicant will be contacted for a written test in English and a face to face interview.
- After closing date, applications are not to be considered.
- Please note that due to the urgency of this position, applications will be reviewed on an on-going basis and DRC reserves the right to initiate the recruitment process before the deadline for applications.
Deadline for submission of applications: 30-August -2019