Internews Network is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party for a USAID-funded program in Liberia aimed to increase citizens’ access to independent and reliable information to engage in well-informed public discussion of important issues of the day.
The DCOP will support the COP in all aspects of program management, especially at an operational level. S/he will be responsible for oversight of program activities, reporting, sub-grants, contracts, finance, compliance and operations. S/he will be required to act as COP from time-to-time being the principal point of contact in Liberia for procedural and substantive matters, and will also take on delegated COP responsibilities as required. S/he will support the COP in liaison with USAID/ Liberia on technical matters and in programs management and operations in response to USAID/ Liberia technical direction. The position will also support the COP in ensuring timely delivery of activities, quality control and the overall responsiveness of technical assistance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Work with the Chief of Party (COP) in project, office, and personnel management.
- Develop and maintain a keen understanding of challenges and issues facing effective media and communications in Liberia.
- Work with Internews home office to ensure proper administration of projects including donor reporting.
- Oversee senior administrative and finance staff to ensure compliance with organizational and donor rules and regulations.
- Work with the COP, local partners, and local staff to design innovative strategies and activities that build the capacity of Liberian media outlets and media associations, and strengthen the media sector holistically.
- Supervise a team of experienced media trainers and consultants to deliver high quality media training and mentoring.
- Support the COP’s efforts in project planning, budgeting, and administrative issues.
- Analyze project results and the implementation of successes/failures.
- Develop plans for improvement/expansion of activities, as assigned.
- Participate in new fundraising efforts to support regional projects.
- Additional assignments and initiatives as necessary.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS (qualified applications from Liberia or West Africa are encouraged to apply)
- 5-8 years of progressively responsible media or democracy and governance development experience, including working with and capacity building implementing partners.
- Academic and/or practical work experience in media, democracy and governance, accountability, management, or law (with familiarity with media law) preferred.
- Advanced degree (master’s or higher) in social sciences, international development, business management, journalism, law or a related field.
- Strong reputation for developing excellent collaborative working relationships with counterparts, international organizations and donors.
- Long-term development experience in Africa, ideally in the West Africa region (5+ years preferred).
- Working experience and knowledge of Liberia is preferred.
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing and implementing technical assistance for USAID funded projects and proven ability to develop, implement, and monitor work plans, training plans, monitoring and evaluation plans, and procurement plans.
- Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs.
- Demonstrated mentoring abilities and experience supporting senior managerial staff.
- Experience with USAID- and/or US government-funded programs.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.