With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
This legislative analyst will support members of the Government Relations team in their work to advance climate and clean energy and other pro-environment legislation in Congress. The analyst will conduct research, track legislation, attend congressional hearings, and assist with strategy development. The legislative analyst may also participate in internal and external meetings on behalf of EDF. This person will report to a Manager of Government Relations and will work collaboratively with the Political Affairs team and others across the organization.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Research and track key legislation that will advance EDF’s priorities in Congress.
- Help the Government Relations team communicate with Congress by sending out statements, vote recommendations, and other correspondence to congressional offices.
- Attend hearings and briefings on behalf of EDF and produce polished notes.
- Identify opportunities for the Government Relations team to advance our message to the hill. This includes monitoring and tracking statements made by members of Congress.
- Research climate and environmental impacts in key congressional districts.
- Create talking points on priority legislation, customized for specific state and stakeholder audiences.
- Provide support to the Government Relations team in executing fly-ins and other events.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Coordinate strategic outreach to partners and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate with other members of the Political Affairs team to ensure interactions with congressional offices are coordinated and aligned.
- Bachelors degree and 3 years of professional and/or research experience in environmental policy, environmental advocacy, or related field, or a Masters and 1 year of related experience.
Must be comfortable with various online meeting and communications platforms.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be well organized, motivated, detail oriented and able to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team setting and work independently.
- Demonstrate initiative and problem-solving skills.
- Preference for candidates who have worked within a congressional office or with high-level stakeholders in some capacity.
- A desire to advance EDF Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental challenges we face. This includes fostering equitable systems and empowering diverse constituencies both internally and externally.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.