* Please include or upload a cover letter with your resume.
PATH is currently recruiting for a Legal Counsel for the Legal Affairs team.
PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships, with expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges. PATH’s offices, affiliate NGOs and programs operate in 30 countries across the globe, including in Africa, the Americas, Asia Pacific and Europe.
The Legal Affairs team enables PATH’s mission of bringing health equity to all by providing strategic and pragmatic legal counsel to facilitate innovation and collaboration while enhancing compliance and smartly managing risk. The Legal Affairs department currently consists of 14 team members: a General Counsel, six attorneys, five paralegals, and two paralegal assistants. Legal Affairs’ mission is to support PATH’s diverse portfolio of public health projects by being trusted advisors and partnering with clients and other stakeholders to achieve PATH’s strategic objectives within sound risk tolerance and efficient decision-making frameworks, tailored and adaptable to meet institutional and programmatic needs.
This position is for an attorney with experience providing comprehensive legal services that enable sound and strategic decision-making, strong and effective partnerships and achievement of organizational priorities in an ever-evolving and complex environment. The ideal candidate has a background in research, technology and product development, public/private partnerships, healthcare, and/or public health. This individual will work closely with program teams which are developing sustainable primary healthcare, addressing prevalent infectious and non-communicable diseases, strengthening public health systems and developing innovative technology in collaboration with private and public sector entities and multilateral organizations.
- Act as trusted advisor and responsible attorney for assigned program portfolios, providing pragmatic legal counsel and strategic advice to facilitate development and enhancement of public health systems, healthcare interventions and health equity strategies through collaborations and other transactional structures, intellectual property matters and risk assessments.
- Draft a wide range of agreements including memorandums of understanding with government agencies, multilaterals, academic institutions and other project stakeholders, public-private partnership collaboration agreements, collaborative research and development agreements, clinical study agreements, manufacturing and supply agreements, license agreements, commercialization agreements, services agreements and other technology innovation agreements.
- Provide legal consultation for PATH’s Office of Grants and Contracts (OGC) team regarding grants/awards, subcontracts, subagreements and consultant agreements managed and prepared by OGC.
- Collaborate with program team members to negotiate agreement terms that establish strong and effective partnerships aligning with PATH’s mission, policies and effective stewardship of PATH’s resources, and enabling innovation with compliance.
- Assess client legal support needs and partner with assigned paralegal and paralegal assistant to ensure timely and effective provision of legal services.
- Manage scope and oversee outside counsel engagements to ensure cost-effective provision of legal services in a timely manner.
- Leverage document management systems, e.g., Salesforce, to effectively manage agreement lifecycle and workflow.
- Contribute to Legal Affairs strategic priorities, including client education and resource development, knowledge management systems, and legal best practices.