We are International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a global consulting firm working some of the most complex and impactful development problems worldwide. We work on programs that help government agencies, private companies and donors improve the lives of others. At IBTCI you will be part of an inclusive team that provides expert solutions and advice to understand and address critical problems while giving you opportunities to succeed and grow.
Assignment Title: Learning Specialist
Department/Location: Remote with some possibility of travel
Technical Point of Contact: Chief of Party
Type: Consultant – Part Time
IBTCI is currently seeking a Learning Specialist to support the implementation of USAID’s Peace through Evaluation, Learning and Adapting (PELA) project. The assigned tasks and responsibilities are related to course design and development (instructional design) to help USAID and its implementing partners (Ips), the broader USG, and other donors enhance programming and policy in preventing and countering violent extremism (P/CVE) and conflict management in West Africa. This position is contingent upon client approval.
Area: Learning and development. Learning Designer and Producer (Instructional Technology) Specialist
Focus: Design, implement and deliver training material/content and on-line learning.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
The consultant will contribute and provide support to the implementation of USAID West Africa’s PELA project to enhance knowledge of acquisition and utilization and to improve strategic and programmatic decision-making.
The assigned tasks and responsibilities related to course design and development (instructional design) can include the following elements:
- Provide guidance and expertise to the PELA Team on development of learning and processes and events (e.g. learning needs analysis, formulation of learning objectives and KPIs, identification and development of appropriate design and delivery mechanism to meet needs of target audience, course development, evaluation of learning outcomes and impact);
- Ensure that best practice methods and approaches are reflected in the learning products and processes created, and provide advice and guidance on the best use of online learning tools (e.g.: Articulate Storyline, Captivate, Camtasia, etc.);
- Create compelling communication materials and processes to increase awareness and knowledge of the ever-changing nature of conflict and violent extremism in the West Africa region and to the growing area of programming to address the problem;
- Guide and advise on how to leverage PELA’s existing research to best effect;
- Design and deliver training sessions;
- Other projects and initiatives within the team, as required.
- Develop and facilitate trainings, workshops, learning conversations and other capacity building opportunities to strengthen responses to the ever-evolving threats of violent extremism, recognizing that the landscape of violence and insecurity in West Africa has grown increasingly fractured and complex.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum five years’ work experience in development and delivery of blended on-line learning solutions and other instructional/training materials.
- Ability to effectively communicate strategic learning, knowledge acquisition, management, organizational development, communications, and/or M&E.
- Skilled facilitation of groups, meetings and events both online and in-person.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Oral and written fluency in English required and fluency in French a plus.
Education: Post graduate degree in Adult Education, Instructional Design, Adaptive Leadership, Organizational Development or related field required.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to develop, review, monitor, and improve as necessary training curricula and associated materials for a professional audience.
- Previous experience facilitating and harnessing strategic learning to improve organizational operations and/or performance in an international development context.
- Familiarity with USAID and/or West Africa region.
- Experience working in conflict-effected countries/regions.
- Knowledge of USAID policies and practices relevant to addressing conflict and violent extremism and strengthening conflict management and prevention.
- Knowledge of complex adaptive systems approaches to peacebuilding and/or P/CVE.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment, with some possible field work.
Physical Requirements: This position requires the incumbent to be mobile and agile at a moment’s notice in case of emergency. This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: International and provincial travel may be required and may include travel to fragile and/or conflict-prone zones.
About the Organization:
IBTCI has been in business since 1987. We specialize in Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning (MERL), Institutional Support (IS), Financial & Risk Management (FRM), Supply Chain Management & Procurement (SCMP); Social & Behavior Change (SBC) and Capacity Building. We provide these services across many sectors including, but not limited to, agriculture, resilience & food security, conflict & crisis, democracy & governance, economic growth & trade, education, energy & Infrastructure, environment & climate change, global health & WASH and humanitarian and disaster assistance. At IBTCI, our colleagues are encouraged to collaborate and be part of the solution while getting the tools and guidance needed to grow and support our clients’ missions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identification, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact the Talent Acquisition team at TalentAcquisition@ibtci.com (Do not send your resume to this account, for consideration please apply in our career page).