The Philippines ABC+ project is a five-year project, funded by USAID and implemented by RTI International. The project is entering its third year in October 2021. There are three intermediate result areas (IRs): (1) Improved Early Grade Instruction and Delivery Systems, (2) Improved Access to Quality Materials, and (3) Improved Education System Capacity and Commitment to Manage and Implement Interventions Supporting Effective Early Grade Instruction. The project is operating in Regions V and VI, with a small presence in BARMM.
The Learning Materials Development Manager will be responsible for leading IR2 – Improved Access to Quality Materials for the USAID-funded Advancing Basic Education (ABC+ project) in the Philippines.
This role is primarily responsible for managing the activities of a small team of literacy and materials specialists in the development of mother tongue reading and writing materials, expanding the range and availability of early grade reading materials in the mother tongues for learners. S/he will support the team in strengthening the capacities across all levels of the education system in the design of high-quality and appropriately sequenced reading interventions; and translate these into instructions and guidelines for publishing high-quality materials, books and other supplementary materials necessary for accelerated learning of reading skills. S/he will also work closely with the Deputy Chief of Party for Operations and the operations team on printing and distribution as needed, collaborating with the Department of Education to strengthen capacity in this area too. S/he will be part of the management team for the project, working closely with leads for other result areas as well as Deputy Chiefs of Party and the Chief of Party.
- Provide technical leadership for the USAID-funded Philippines ABC+ literacy and learning materials development in mother tongue languages as determined by the project in collaboration with USAID and the Department of Education.
- Manage the processes involved in the development of quality learning materials and associated capacity strengthening activities that model effective materials development processes as informed by research and prescribed by DepEd.
- Engage with the Department of Education and affiliates in the development and adaptation of appropriate and inclusive teaching and learning materials, appropriate for students SEL needs.
- Lead the team in working closely with other technical advisers to facilitate the alignment of materials developed with the professional development programs of the project.
- Oversee and coordinate the work of project consortium partners on the development of learning resources in the Philippine languages targeted by the project.
- Coordinate input from RTI Home Office technical advisors and external technical consultants
- Leverage project MEL data to inform adjustments in the project’s technical approach and ensure continued improvement in student learning outcomes
- Contribute to the development and strengthening of new and existing partnerships with other education institutions including at the regional and local governance levels, contributing to the creation and delivery of quality learning materials.
- Collaborate with government partners and subcontractors responsible for supporting the development of learning materials.
- Plan and support the distribution of learning materials, working to strengthen capacity with partners as appropriate.
- Manage the team in attaining set annual targets and direct activities towards attainment of sustainability milestones and end-of-project outcomes.
Minimum Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and 8 years of experience or Master’s degree in education or related disciplines with at least 6 years relevant experience in early grade materials or book development and/or production; Experience developing inclusive materials strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of SEL and gender related factors that affect students educational performance and the institution retention rates an advantage
- Experience with USAID-funded projects strongly preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Track record of performance excellence meeting targets and objectives.
- Demonstrated experience managing activities or projects
- Understanding of the printing and distribution chain for large scale book distribution preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of MS SharePoint, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability
- Culturally sensitive and respectful.
Physical and Mental Demands
- Frequently communicating with other people within RTI and outside of RTI
- Ability to handle stress associated with frequent meetings, multiple and tight deadlines
- Ability to work in excess of 40 hours per week as workload and deadlines may required
- Ability to travel to Project field offices and project areas as may be required.
- Ability to keep calm and think through issues and concerns