About the Opportunity
The (Senior) Learning and Knowledge Manager (LKM) is a researcher, knowledge broker, evaluator, and a team leader who is passionate about the power of data, knowledge, and learning for capturing and sharing Internews’ impact in supporting local media partners in South Sudan. The LKM is responsible for devising, managing and implementing strategies to ensure all data, research, and reports are verified, documented, shared, and understood for greatest learning and impact with local media partners, donors, the public, and staff. The LKM will manage research, learning, and relevant external reporting and will lead knowledge management for Internews in South Sudan.
The LKM reports to the Program Director and works closely with the Design and Innovation Adviser and other technical advisers on the project. The LKM will currently have three direct reports including the 1) Learning and Knowledge Coordinator, 2) Subgrants Coordinator, and 3) Digital Engagement Coordinator, as well as two M&E Officers as indirect reports.
This position is currently remote-based and will eventually be based in Juba, South Sudan, with infrequent travel to field locations.
The work and well-being of Internews is strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We welcome applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQIA community, indigenous, persons with disabilities, and any other underrepresented backgrounds.
Your Day-to-Day Responsibilities Under this Position may Include:
Learning and Research
- Develops and executes a learning strategy for Internews in South Sudan that includes quantitative, qualitative, participatory, mixed, and remote research methods to capture the impact of the project on a regular basis to external and internal stakeholders, in collaboration with the Design and Innovation Adviser and Learning and Knowledge Coordinator.
- Commissions and designs research with potential research firms, and manages research budgets, in coordination with the Senior Leadership Team (Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, Program Director).
- Manages research projects, from scoping to methodology and report writing, including managing and developing partner relationships.
- Develops and cultivates new and existing partnerships with research agencies and proactively identifies new research opportunities across programming.
- Plans and manages resources effectively, including research budgets, staff, and subcontractors.
- Produces insightful research reports with actionable recommendations to support program activities.
- Develops and executes a knowledge management strategy and information and data management approach for all program activities across Internews in South Sudan.
- Responsible for ensuring that department maintains meticulous and regularly updated records, archives, and databases to support learning and communications functions.
- Oversees the external and internal communication of program activities and impact across the different technical and operational departments (e.g., Media, Finance, etc.) in Internews in South Sudan.
- Oversees donor reporting for projects funded by USAID DRG and BHA, DOS BPRM, UN, etc., in close collaboration with Learning and Knowledge Coordinator, Program Director, and Chief of Party.
- Oversees and reviews internal and external reporting before publication or sharing, including donor reports, in coordination with the Program Director, and Learning and Knowledge Coordinator.
- Oversees the performance and impact measurement for Internews in South Sudan, including supporting the team to collect and monitor all data, processing, and verification, in close collaboration with the Learning and Knowledge Coordinator.
Management and Capacity Building
- Directly supervises three staff including maintaining detailed work plans and tracking project and personal progress.
- Supports the recruitment of learning, knowledge management, and communications related positions, as needed.
- Builds the capacity across Internews’ program teams and partners in knowledge, skills, approaches, and tools related to research, M&E, innovative communication approaches, etc.
- Supports the Subgrants team with learning, communications, digital media and other technical assistance and capacity building for local media partners.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
- Degree in social science, evaluation, information or library sciences, communications or related field or equivalent standard of education. Advanced degree preferred.
- Experience in design, research, evaluation, and communications for capacity building programs, media development, and/or digital development programs.
- Knowledge and interest in mixed methods, participatory, and market research.
- Interest in knowledge management, information management, and learning organizations.
- Experience in the field of performance measurement for development activities and/or media.
- Exceptional and inspired English writing skills, to a publishable standard. Writing samples and portfolio required (please include in the application).
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the workplace and experience supervising diverse staff.
- Experience living and working in Africa and/or conflict/post-conflict environments.
- Fluency in English required, knowledge of Arabic, a plus.
- Experience with relevant data management, analysis, and visualization software, such as Excel, R, Power BI, NVIVO, Tableau, etc., a plus.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.