The Lead Country Program Coordinator (CPC) will be an essential part of RDVP’s front office and report directly to the Vice-president. The Lead CPC will cover one or several Regional Directorates and coordinate his/her work closely with the respective DGs and Deputy-DGs. The Lead CPC will be the primary point of contact of DGs in HQ and attend meetings on their behalf. The incumbent will be monitoring the work programme implementation in the assigned region in coordination with Regional Program Officers (RPOs) and Country Program Officers (CPOs), using a regional dashboard. The Lead CPC will oversee the work of professional staff within the RDVP front office and ensure that the appropriate mechanisms are in place to deliver RDVP’s lending program, avoiding bunching, and mobilizing additional resources. For this purpose, the Lead CPC will prepare monthly senior management reports in coordination with other Front Office staff, RPOs and CPOs. The incumbent will assist DGs in their engagement and reporting to senior management. The Lead CPC will promote the use of trust funds in the assigned region(s), ensure alignment of country programming and operations with the High 5s.
The incumbent will provide support and advice to the DG in designing the country work program, and in coordinating the delivery, portfolio performance management and results management in the implementation of the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy (TYS), the High5s Agenda, and the Country Strategy Paper (CSP).
Moreover, the Lead CPC will provide advice on strategic options for revenue generation and cost efficiencies of Bank’s operations and strategies. In performing this role, the Lead CPC is expected to ensure the maintenance of a robust performance management system, with a strategic focus on performance for results. Ultimately the incumbent will provide the DG with a standardized channel of information in respect to the implementation of the programmes of the Business Delivery Hub and Country Offices. The incumbent will provide a direct and indirect operational input that will contribute to the delivery of the key performance targets of the department and facilitate detailed high frequency reporting (dashboard) on the progress of work programs and relevant Bank initiatives under the DG.
The Lead CPC will also provide support in quality assurance, for quality at entry of Bank operations, and contribute towards strategy formulation within the assigned region.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Vice-president – RDVP, the Lead CPC will perform the following:
Coordination of Portfolio Management and Programming in the region (‘dashboards’)
1. Monitor and advise the DG on the management of key performance indicators on portfolio performance, country program, Bank priorities and result indicators; harmonize management reporting tools within the various Departments.
2. Liaise with the RPOs and CPOs and sector staff in country offices to ensure sound analysis and monitoring of portfolio developments including through regular reviews of country and regional portfolios with a view to identifying issues and proposing options for their resolution.
3. Ensure that monthly senior management reports on the state of the region (dashboard) are prepared and follow up on issues that require further action.
4. Follow up on Annual Portfolio Performance Reviews/Updates of Portfolio Improvement Plans (PIPs).
5. Support the preparation of the Regional Portfolio Performance Reviews (RPPR); in collaboration with RPOs, CPOs, Regional Economists and Sector Staff, work more closely with the regional economic communities and coordinate and monitor multinational programs with a focus on delivery on regional integration.
6. Liaise with CPOs and sector staff in the monitoring and implementation of the recommendations of the Monthly Exceptions and Outliers report and the Bank’s Internal Audit Reports.
7. Support the work of CPOs and sector staff in undertaking country and regional portfolio performance review processes with the Government and other Development Partners.
8. Advise the DG on strategic options as may be deemed necessary to improve revenue generation and/or cost efficiencies. Work closely with the Regional Directorate during the yearly business planning and budgeting process to ensure that work programmes are well constructed and aligned with Bank’s priorities (e.g., income generation, operational priorities, etc.).
9. Provide inputs to country and regional strategies and monitor the implementation of these strategies in coordination with the Regional Economists, RPOs and CPOs.
Relationship Management between Regional Hub and HQ
1. Under the guidance of the Vice-president – RDVP and the DG, establish solid working relationships across complexes both at HQ and within the assigned region.
2. Support the DG to manage communications and ensure senior management is aware of the progress and challenges of implementing the High 5s in the respective region(s).
3. Actively support the DG and Deputy-DG to manage relationships with HQ staff and follow up on commitments.
1. Actively interact with DGs and Deputy-DGs, RPOs and CPOs to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the portfolio management.
2. Provide feedback to the DG and Deputy-DG on Bank policies, strategies and operational procedures, with an aim towards continuous improvement of Bank policies implementation; and
3. Incorporate lessons learned in project development and implementation from other regions.
1. Support the DG’s efforts to improve the Bank’s visibility in the region.
1. Focus on ensuring quality and performance of the regional pipeline and portfolio.
2. Ensure all reports and submissions are timely and of high quality.
3. Play a key role and advise the DG on economic, political, social and other developments relevant to the delivery of the High 5s in the region.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Economics, Social Sciences, Engineering, Business Administration, Public Administration or related discipline.
2. Knowledge of development issues.
3. Have a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant professional experience in the formulation and implementation of policies, programs and projects either within the Bank or with a similar development institution or the public service; (three (3) years must be in managerial role).
4. Demonstrated experience in portfolio management within a multilateral financial institution.
5. Experience in the preparation and/or review of strategies/operations in a multilateral financial institution.
6. Strong knowledge of socio-economic development issues and policies of African countries.
7. Experience working in a team in a multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary, international and professional environment.
8. Knowledge and experience with African Development Bank operations or sister multilateral development finance institutions.
9. Private sector experience is an added advantage.
10. Innovation and creativity.
11. Client orientation.
12. Problem solving.
13. Operational effectiveness.
14. Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to present and win support for ideas.
15. A good listener with cultural sensitivity, commitment to diversity and capacity to initiate and manage change.
16. Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders at all levels.
17. Provides clear and concise oral and written communication; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience.
18. Business acumen.
19. Ability to implement strategy.
20. Executing for results.
21. Exerting influence.
22. Exercises decisiveness.
23. Team building and relationship management.
24. The ability to take initiative/spotting opportunity/pushing strategy.
25. Mentorship/Coaching skills.
26. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
27. Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
28. Experience in the use of SAP is advantageous.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG