A. Background and Justification
FoodTrade ESA is a 5 year programme aimed at improving national and regional markets efficiency in the trade of staples. FoodTrade ESA is based in Dar es Salaam, and covers 9 countries; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda (East Africa) and Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe (Southern Africa).
FoodTrade ESA systemically improves the functioning of national and regional staple food market systems; impacting directly on over 400,000 households and consumers through stable markets for staple food products. Through the Project Management Unit (PMU) it fosters catalytic and innovative solutions through the use of two facilitative tools: a Challenge and Development Fund.
B. Scope of Work
The Knowledge Management and Communications Advisor will be responsible for the learning, knowledge management and communication component of FoodTrade ESA. S/he will oversee the development and implementation of a knowledge management and the information and communications strategy.
C. Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement the existing communication strategy;
- Responsible for knowledge management follow-up in close cooperation with FoodTrade’s partner ReNAPRI;
- Build relations with government, media, grantees, other programmes/projects and related stakeholders within the trade and agricultural sector;
- Oversee and manage the programme website and act as the programme’s spokesperson;
- Drive strategic branding of the programme to promote programme visibility and impact;
- Keep programme team updated on key news, events and information of relevance to the programme;
- Organize events and workshops;
- Review and edit reports, training and marketing materials, press releases and other documents as may be required;
- Manage the programmes’ social media activities;
- Oversee the upgrade of the Food Trade website in terms of design, content and raise the public awareness of the site;
- Supervise and prepare the content for the web sites ensuring consistency of the materials with support from technical team and project partners, including the writing of articles;
- Create internal document templates;
- Identify and develop storylines for publications and substantive articles to be published on web and in other media;
- Draft project profiles for new projects;
- Develop and maintain a resource library as well as the public folder;
- Any other additional reasonable duties as assigned by supervisor.
D. Required Key Skills & Qualifications
- A degree in Communications, Journalism, Knowledge Management or related field;
- 8 years’ experience in executing successful communication strategies;
- Experience in knowledge management and evidence based dissemination;
- Experience delivering strategic communications on trade and agriculture is an asset;
- Sound experience in effectively using different communications media including social media;
- Experience in engaging with key stakeholders;
- Good team working skills;
- Ability to deliver high quality products under pressure;
- Extensive experience in writing storylines/articles and in editing reports;
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Experience in working on donor funded projects is an asset;
- Good networking in the relevant sectors.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, or national origin. We are an equal opportunity employer. Only Kenyan nationals or persons with Kenyan residence/work permits will be considered.