The overall objective of the project of which this contract will be a part is as follows: ‘to increase climate resilience of the coastal and marine zones of The Gambia’.
The Consultant is expected to contribute to the achievement of the project results. In particular, the contribution of the Consultant will focus mainly on the following:
Component 1: Institutionalization of ICZM approach and related climate change adaptation (in selected regions)
Expected outcomes: (i) institutional capacity strengthened at selected regions, (ii) CC adaptation gap identified iii) increased awareness of ICZM and CC adaptation.
Component 2: Knowledge management through data collection and localizing climate change modelling.
Expected outcomes: a ) updated info available and guidelines for decision making (i.e. these guidelines refer to (i) climate change analysis for planning, (ii) Climate Change Impacts and Spatial Planning, (iii) Climate Change accounting for financial management of impacts.); b) able to generate localized, downscales CC models.
Component 3: Integration of climate change adaptation actions into ICZM.
Expected outcomes: i) ICZM/climate resilient plans implemented, CC vulnerability reduced; ii) productive activities in targeted areas maintained or improved.
We welcome applications for the position of KE2 position. The profile description can be found below:
Key expert 2: Senior Expert on Data Management and Climate Modelling
Duty Station: Banjul, The Gambia (precise premises to be defined)
Duty Duration: minimum of 200 working days over an indicative period of 36 calendar months
At least 85% of the time input from Key Expert 2 will be carried out in The Gambia.
Qualifications and skills
- Diploma in science or engineering plus a post-graduate degree in a field relevant to the assignment (such as environment / climate change/ coastal management / oceanography / marine science or related fields relevant) or relevant professional experience of 6 years duration (NB equivalent experience which must be above the general professional experience duration fixed below).
- Fluent in spoken and written English and be able to write clear, concise technical and non-technical reports in English.
- Sound knowledge and experience in climate modelling using different computer applications are desirable and will be an advantage.
- Excellent facilitation and professional training skills are desirable and will be an advantage.
General professional experience
- A minimum of 10 years professional experience in the area relevant to the assignment.
Specific professional experience
- Proven experience of working as part of a team; the ability to operate within multi-sectoral, multi-cultural teams with good communication skills and flexible working style will be an advantage.
- Experience of work in developing countries is desirable; experience in LDC’s in West Africa would be an asset. Experience in coastal adaptation to climate change would also be an asset.
All experts must be independent and free from conflicts of interest in the responsibilities they take on.
Start Date: 01 May 2020
Length of the project: 36 months