Job Title: Junior Faculty; Simulation Track
Reports to: Dean of Health Sciences
Location: Butaro, Burera District, Rwanda
UGHE is seeking a Junior Faculty member to help launch simulation training for its academic programs. UGHE has a goal of becoming a guiding light for simulation education in the region, and its Butaro Campus houses a state of the art simulation center to serve as an epicenter of these efforts. UGHE is looking for a motivated general practitioner interested in pursuing a career in simulation as an educational tool across the health disciplines. This individual would be responsible for building simulation programs that serve both UGHE students and local communities, and the university would provide professional development opportunities to ensure adequate preparation for this role. This position will involve collaboration with basic sciences and clinical faculty to plan and adapt simulation coursework to align with the curricula of UGHE’s medical program. This individual will oversee operations of UGHE’s simulation center, including hiring, training and managing of necessary staff, proper equipping, stocking, and daily maintenance.
- Collaborate with basic sciences and clinical faculty and teaching staff at UGHE to develop simulation curricula at the appropriate level of instruction for medical students;
- Participate in preparation of practical teaching and instructional materials to ensure excellent simulation learning experience for all learners;
- Examine and evaluate students to confirm that learning has actually taken place;
- Recruit, screen, coordinate hiring, and supervise simulation center assistant(s), as needed;
- Develop and implement annual budget and procurement plans for the simulation center to ensure department has adequate resources to effectively carry out its duties;
- Work with the Dean of Health Sciences to develop partnerships with both local and global entities in order to expand the reach of UGHE’s simulation programs; and
- Work with the Dean of Health Sciences and the Director of the Educational Development and Quality Center (EDQC) to plan for initial phase of clinical instruction in the MBBS/MGHD programme;
- MBBS, MD or equivalent degree;
- Proficient knowledge of basic clinical scenarios and emergency procedures;
- Willingness to work as part of a team in a rapidly evolving environment;
- Interest in a career as a medical educator;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Fluency in English;
- Ability to multitask and pay attention to detail and quality; and
- Results oriented with adherence to deliverables and deadlines.
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to apply
Applicants should provide: (1) a curriculum vitae, (2) a cover letter, (3) names and contact information of three professional references who can attest to experience in the required job functions; at least one of these references should be an immediate supervisor and (4) copies of all degrees earned and current professional certifications.
Please upload your cover letter, references, and proof of degrees attained as a single PDF file under “Additional Files” on the application page.