Brief description of the assignment:
The overall objective is to improve public finance management in BiH by increasing expenditure effectiveness. Effective coordination is the core issue for the successful implementation of the budget process in BiH, especially for Institutions of BiH.
Strengthening public finance management system and to help BiH, authorities to improve the budget planning process, especially in Institutions of BiH.
Results to be achieved
Result 1: Improved programme budgeting process and alignment with the mid-term policy planning process at all levels of government in BiH
This result is focused on improving the programme budgeting and medium-term budget planning, and on strengthening relations between them in the framework of the strategic planning. Achievements here will be ensured by changes in the legal framework, incorporated in the primary and secondary legislation, manuals, and guidelines.
Interventions will be done in many areas of the PFM with objective to strengthen the programme budgeting and medium-term budget planning.
Objective and background of the assignment
Governments of BiH, with support of the European Union, have decided to improve public finance management in BiH by increasing expenditure effectiveness. To achieve this objective the Project will provide technical support in order to improve programme budgeting process and alignment with the mid-term policy planning process at all levels of government in BiH.
The project is assigned a task to help BiH authorities to improve the budget planning process at level of BiH Institutions during 2020-2022.
In BiH Institutions programme budgeting in the budget process is being implemented since 2013, but still lacks description of the meaning of budget preparation, submission of budget requests, etc. Furthermore, monitoring of budget execution and reporting are not based on programme classification.
Under the guidance and supervision of Team Leader the Senior Non-Key Expert will be responsible for achieving the Result: Improved programme budgeting process and alignment with the mid-term policy planning process in BiH Institutions.
Scope of work
Scope of the current junior assignment is to assist to the SNKE for the Component 1 at the level of BiH Institutions for:
- Elaboration of the partial analytical inputs for SNKE on Component 1 for gap analysis in the area of the budget primary and secondary legislation
- Together with SNKE on C1 contribution to elaboration of draft amendments of the primary and secondary budget legislation
- Contribution for updating the budget manuals for programme budgeting and medium-term budget planning
- Analytical and methodological work on public policy budget planning system
- Support for elaboration of proposals for programme structure changes in the budget users
Commencement date of the project: 16 November 2020 (tentatively)
Duration of the assignment: 87 work days over 24 months
Qualifications and skills
- University Degree in economics, public administration, public finance management, law
- Fluency in written and oral English. Knowledge of Bosnian and/or Serbian and/or Croatian is required
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, an ability to work as part of a team, an attitude to effectively transfer technical knowledge and maintain effective and cooperative relations with national authorities and donors, as well as capacity to handle sensitive issues with discretion in a multicultural environment
General professional experience
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the field of public financial management
Specific professional experience
- At least 2 years of professional experience in program budgeting in all stages of budget process and medium-term strategic budget planning at central, regional and municipal level
- At least 2 years of professional experience in functional analysis in an area of budget process, functional review of inter institutional relations in the budget process and experience on legal analysis of both laws and sub-legal acts
- Experience as junior expert in international projects providing advisory and/or technical assistance would be an asset (min. 2 international projects) would be considered as an advantage.
Note: Civil Servants and other staff of the public administration of the beneficiary country cannot be recruited as experts within six months after the finish of their government contract.