Heartland Alliance International (HAI) is the youngest and fastest growing part of Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights, a family of organizations that has been leading anti-poverty and social justice work in Chicago for more than 125 years. HAI is comprised of nearly a dozen country offices implementing programs on a broad range of human rights issues globally, as well as the Chicago-based Marjorie Kovler Center for the Treatment of Survivors of Torture, which serves individuals from more than 50 countries. HAI has significant expertise in the fields of trauma-informed mental health care and access to justice for survivors of human rights abuses. HAI is also a leader in providing access to high-quality and stigma-free health care. Across all of its programs, HAI promotes progressive, innovative approaches to human rights protections and gender equality.
HAI seeks a security consultant with experience in developing case-specific security plans to help HAI develop a protocol for how to do case-specific security plans.
3. Key Responsibilities:
- In consultation with Iraq office, help define the organisational duty of care to clients and local partners.
- Develop a risk assessment framework that can be applied specifically to how we assess, plan and respond to program participants with special protection needs, such as war crimes victims, LGBTQ individuals, trafficking victims, survivors of sexual and gender-based violence, and others in which there may be a risk of retribution from perpetrators, or a risk of threats or harm from armed actors including militias or government security agencies.
- Develop procedures and protocols for managing risk for staff and local partners, who may be at risk from state security forces or non-state actors because of their work with special cases.
- Provide training to the in-country team in use of risk management tools, protocols and procedures for planning for security for LGBTQ, gender, trafficking, and war crimes cases.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or competencies required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The selected candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in security management in crises and emergency response, emergency preparedness, or a related field;
- The selected candidate will demonstrate ability to analyze and learn about organizational culture, structure, opportunities, and constraints to deliver a tailored protocol/plan/set of recommendations for the development of security plans;
- Demonstrated professionalism and ability to maintain organizational confidentiality;
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and demonstrated ability to write and clearly articulated ideas. Fluency in English essential
Risk assessment framework that can be applied specifically to how we assess, plan, and respond to special needs cases in which there may be a risk of retribution; a risk from family members; risk of information and evidence being disseminated as a result of engaging in the judicial process, and the public nature of the judicial process (names of clients; names of witnesses; client testimonies; witness testimonies; names of individuals alleged to be perpetrators; incriminating digital evidence (photo and video)); risk of evidence theft; IS cells and attacks; or security issues presented by likely transfers of cases from criminal to terrorism court, and the accused likely facing the death penalty
- Procedures and protocols for managing security risks for clients and local partners, limited to specific legal or protection cases in which tribe, perpetrator, etc. may place staff at risk
- Once the documents have been completed, agreed, and signed off a final phase will involve training in-country staff and new security officer on the use of any risk assessment frameworks and any specific policies and procedures to ensure full understanding and compliance.
6. Timeline: HAI anticipates that this will be a three-week consultancy.
7. To apply:
To be considered for this contract, please submit the following:
A letter of interest, indicating how your skills and experience meet the qualifications listed above;
A résumé or CV;
Proposed budget for deliverables