Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 member countries.
The position is assigned in the BPCB Division within the BPMSD Department. The Division is responsible for the areas of Compensation, Benefits and Pension, leading the development and management of related policies and practices at ADB. The investments relating to Pensions is a key component to this and this role is part of a team which focuses on managing the investments in an appropriate manner.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Investment Analyst (SRP) will provide critical analytical and technical support in the management and administration of Staff Retirement Plan (SRP) investments by undertaking a range of specialized duties. The incumbent will report to the Principal Investment Specialist.
Investment Activity Monitoring
- Reviews audited month-end reports from global custodian to verify that SRP assets are invested in accordance with policy guidelines. Reports any violations encountered and recommends a remedial course of action. Maintains and monitors a “watch list” of investments with potential downgrading of credit ratings and with unusual characteristics to ensure proper remedial action taken. Tracks securities held in safekeeping and accounts for purchases and sales of securities. Reconciles records and net-asset-value calculation of securities held as reported by the investment managers and by the global custodian to ensure proper accounting of portfolio inventory. Reports any differences found and recommends ways to resolve these differences. Assists in the preparation of reports on investment performance, portfolio activities, and changes in asset value. Assists in compiling market data required for preparation of reports/analysis of SRP portfolio investments.
- Monitors the various derivatives and their purpose used by the fund managers, ensuring that they are in compliance with the SRP investment policy guidelines. Ensures that swaps, financial futures, and currency forwards are within the threshold/limit as indicated in the policy guidelines. Maintains records of swap documentations. Reports any inconsistencies and violations in the use of derivatives in order for timely remedial course of action to be taken.
Multi-currency Cash and Forex Transaction Monitoring
- Monitors multi-currency cash positions and reconciles the cash positions in each currency with the required cash for settlement on a country-by-country basis. Monitors currency spot and forward transactions and checks the currency positions’ compliance with the SRP investment guidelines.
Multi-currency Securities Lending/Repo Transactions
- Monitors securities lending/repo transactions and checks that open positions are followed by corresponding closing positions, on a country-by-country basis.
Counterparty Risk Management
- Monitor swap, forex, and cash deposit counterparty credit ratings against SRP investment guidelines and reports any non-compliance.
Tax Reclaim Management
- Establishes and maintains a systematic approach to monitoring taxes withheld on investment earnings and ensuring the fund to the Plan.
Investment Manager/Global Custodian Oversight
- Assists in managing relationships between investment managers and global custodian for smooth and efficient post trade processing and reporting. Monitors and validates fees charged for management of portfolio, custodial services and consulting services against terms of contracts and valid underlying activities. Arranges for payment of these fees and maintains a systematic filing system of all fees charged and their corresponding payments for easy retrieval as future reference.
- Plans and develops ways to obtain up-to-date investment data from investment managers and global custodian, preferably electronically, to facilitate monitoring process. Establishes an effective record-keeping system for easy retrieval and in compliance with legal retention period required by ADB. Assists in research and study undertaken by SRP Investment Unit. Keeps current with software technology provided by global custodian, other relevant financial information system providers and ADB. Coordinates with software providers and OIST for the installation and maintenance of SRP software applications in users’ workstations. Arranges for appropriate training for software users. Performs other duties as required/assigned from time to time.
Support to SRP Investment Committee
- Assists in handling ADB formalities when there is a change in SRP Investment Committee membership. Assists in organizing Committee meetings. Serves as back-up to the Secretary of the Committee.
- Serves as liaison of SRP Investments Unit with ADB internal parties (e.g. CTL, OGA, and Plan participants), investment managers, and global custodian to assist all parties in clarifying matters of interest to their responsibility areas.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in finance, accounting, economics, engineering, mathematics, statistics, or other related fields.
- At least 5 years’ relevant experience preferably in international banking operations, pension fund investment or pension fund administration or accounting. Experience in other fields will be considered.
- Proficiency in computer software in common use at ADB and specialized Treasury related software.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English; good memo composition, editing skills, and excellent typing skills; good communication, interpersonal, and coordinating skills.
- Good understanding and knowledge of business protocols, ADB’s procedures, formats and standards relevant in the performance of the position’s duties.
- Ability to manage priorities and workload within general schedule of work, instructions and standardized practices
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, exercise good judgment on matters of confidentiality, and maintain composure under pressure.
- Thorough understanding of the role and function of the Unit and a good general understanding of the organization’s purpose.
- Please refer to the link for the ADB Competency Framework for AS7.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of three years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.