Founded in 1933, the IRC is a leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. The IRC will be opening a Denver office in 2016 to provide reception and placement services to newly arrived refugees. The office will resettle approximately 250 refugees per year starting in FY17, and will eventually expand to provide numerous program services to assist the refugee from their arrival through citizenship.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Interpreter is an integral part of the Denver resettlement team, and will be providing interpretation services for clients as specified by Colorado Alliance for Refugee Empowerment and Success (CARES) guidelines and in instances when a client requests an interpreter. This position reports to the Senior Caseworker, Family Stabilization.
- Serve as the communication liaison between staff and the client to ensure services are client-centered
- Assist case management staff in relaying important deadlines, instructions, questions, and other communication to clients in their native language
- Assist clients in communicating any concerns, questions, or other information to case management staff when clients are not fluent or comfortable speaking English
- Translate documents from English into clients’ native language
- Assist staff with building client rapport
- Other duties as assigned
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and at least one of the following languages required: Arabic, Kiswahili, or other languages of IRC clients in the area. Applicants will be tested for language proficiency prior to hiring.
- Education in linguistics or related field and/or evidence of training in interpretation techniques a plus.
- Prior experience providing interpretive services strongly desired.
- Must be a team player, detail oriented, patient, professional, and reliable.
- Experience in working with refugees is highly desirable.
- Available for work assignments during regular business hours. Evening and weekend availability a strong plus.
- Preferred: Use of personal vehicle with valid driver’s license and current insurance.