Background/IRC Summary: The mission of the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933, the IRC has 26 offices in the United States and a presence in over 40 countries.
Under the supervision of the Finance and Operations Coordinator, the Interpreter will provide interpretation to IRC San Diego clients who possess limited proficiency in English.
- Provide interpretation in Amharic, Arabic, Karen, Nepalese, Swahili, Farsi, French, Spanish, or other refugee languages during regularly scheduled trainings and in the classroom,
- Provide one-on-one technical assistance sessions to eligible participants with limited English proficiency
- Provide clerical support and assist participants to complete basic forms
- Support training staff with outreach efforts
- Assist training staff with other tasks as assigned
Skills and Abilities: Fluency in English and at least one of the following languages required: Amharic, Arabic, Karen, Nepalese, Swahili, Farsi, French, Spanish or other refugee languages
Education: Education in linguistics or related field and/or evidence of training in interpretation techniques strongly desired
Experience: Prior experience providing interpretive services strongly desired
Other: Must be a team player. Some local travel required (must have valid CA Driver License and automobile insurance)