Background/IRC Summary: The mission of the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933, the IRC has 26 offices in the United States and a presence in over 40 countries.
Job Overview/Summary: Under the direction of the Casework Supervisor, the Interpreter will provide interpreting for refugees attending employment and other appointments. In addition, in-house services will include interpreting for assessments, cultural orientations, job development, financial literacy, school enrollments, and other activities in which clients are involved. This is an Occasional (“on call”) position, with variable hours.
Major Responsibilities: Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Providing interpretation in Arabic, French, Swahili, Spanish, Nepali, Burmese, Farsi/Dari or other languages of IRC clients.
- Providing IRC staff with interpretation support as they work with clients both in one-on-one and group settings.
- Attending job interviews, orientations, and other appointments with clients and interpreting important information into the client’s native language.
- Strict adherence to IRC Code of Conduct for Interpreters
- Other tasks as assigned.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Casework Supervisor
Position directly supervises: n/a
Indirect Reporting: n/a
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and at least one of the following languages required: Arabic, French, Swahili, Spanish, Nepali, Burmese, Farsi/Dari or other languages of IRC clients in the area. Applicants will be tested for language proficiency prior to hiring.
- Education in linguistics or related field and/or evidence of training in interpretation techniques a plus.
- Prior experience providing interpretive services strongly desired.
- Must be a team player, detail oriented, patient, professional, and reliable.
- Available for work assignments during regular business hours. Evening and weekend availability a strong plus.
Working Environment: Standard office work environment, with visits to local social service agencies, health clinics, client housing and other locations as needed.
Salary Range: $13.88