Scope of Work: The International Rescue Committee in Richmond (IRC) will provide resettlement services to some 150 newly arriving refugees this year as well as employment, health and educational services to all refugees and qualified immigrants throughout the Greater Richmond Area. Staff Interpreters will provide interpretation for clients with limited proficiency in English for services provided directly by the IRC in Richmond. This is an occasional, non-exempt position reporting to the Site Manager with a salary of $17 per hour.
- Provide interpretation in Arabic, French, Swahili, Spanish, Burmese, Nepali, Farsi/Dari or other languages of major refugee populations in the Greater Richmond area.
- Provide IRC Richmond staff with interpretation support as they work with clients both in one-on-one and group settings.
- As needed, accompany IRC staff to job interviews, airport arrivals, and other locations to provide interpretation for the provision of services.
- Assist IRC to conduct orientations and deliver educational classes and workshops.
- Assist participants to complete basic forms and online applications.
- Assist staff with outreach efforts and other tasks as assigned.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and at least one of the following languages required: Arabic, French, Swahili, Spanish, Nepali, Burmese, Farsi/Dari or other languages of newly arriving refugees in the area. Applicants will be tested for language proficiency prior to hiring.
- Education in linguistics or related field and/or evidence of training in interpretation techniques a plus. Further training in interpretation techniques and standards will be required of all applicants who are not previously certified and will be provided by IRC after hiring.
- Prior experience providing interpretive services strongly desired.
- Must be a team player, detail oriented, patient, professional, and reliable.