The assignment is embedded in the technical cooperation project Sustainable Urban Development (DUS) that aims to improve the conditions for implementing integrated, inclusive, and climate resilient urban development in Brazil. The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, in partnership with the Brazilian Federal Ministry for Cities (MCid), is implementing the DUS Project with funds from the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The objective of this assignment is to improve the access of Brazilian cities to finance for integrated, inclusive and climate resilient projects. On the one hand, many cities are not using the available instruments to consolidate their budget nor do they have the credit rating necessary to access national and international funding opportunities. On the other hand, national and international financial institutions offer green financing instruments, but they lack instruments to advise cities on how to prepare and implement projects. The tasks called for in this tender shall aim to bridge the gap between cities and funding institutions, improving the alignment between investment needs in cities and financing opportunities offered by funding institutions and the private sector.
To this end, the two specific objectives are:
- Selected Brazilian cities must be enabled to prepare and implement fundable investment projects for integrated, inclusive and climate resilient urban development.
- Brazilian national government institutions (especially the MCid) must be enabled to support Brazilian cities in accessing finance for integrated, inclusive and climate resilient urban development.
The proposed International Team Leader will work up to 180 days remotely and 60 days in Brazil. Their task include:
- Overall responsibility for the advisory packages of the contractor (cost, quality, and deadlines);
- Overall organization and coordination of project activities’ implementation, cooperatively with the national team leader;
- Ensuring the coherence and complementarity of the contractor’s services with other services delivered by the project at local and national level;
- Design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of capacity development measures for local partners;
- Staff management, in particular identifying the need for short-term assignments within the available budget, planning and managing the assignments and supporting local and international experts;
- Ensuring that monitoring procedures are carried out;
- Regular reporting in accordance with deadlines;
- Responsibility for checking the use of funds and financial planning in consultation with the officer responsible for the commission at GIZ.
- Supporting the officer responsible for the commission in updating and/or adapting the project strategy, in evaluations and preparing of follow-on projects;
- Guarantee the evaluation and appropriate documentation of best practices for the upscaling of learning and experiences;
- Internal and external communication and representation of project activities relevant for the objectives of the contract and the overall project, in coordination with the GIZ Project Director (AV) and partners vis-à-vis political actors, financial and economic sectors, and civil society.
- Education/training: University degree (master’s) in economics, finance or other relevant field of study.
- Language skills: English (C2) and Portuguese or Spanish (C1), preferably Portuguese.
- Leadership experience: 8 years of experience in managing international teams, budgets and contracts.
General professional experience: 10 years of professional experience in:
- Project development, including feasibility analysis, business valuation and modelling;
- Funding mechanisms with focus on credit-based and green finance.
Specific professional experience:
- 8 years of experience in urban development and/or urban infrastructure projects;
- 5 years of experience in sustainable urban development projects.
- Regional experience: 5 years of experience with projects in Latin America.
- Development cooperation experience: 5 years of experience in financial development cooperation projects
Britta Müller-Matthesius Mueller-Matthesius@gfa-group.de