The QED Group, under the SIMPLE monitoring and evaluation project with USAID/Egypt, is seeking to engage the services of an international consultant specialized in monitoring and evaluation with experience to serve as leader of an evaluation team responsible for the design and implementation of an end-of-term performance evaluation of the USAID/Egypt Sustainable Investment in Tourism in Egypt (SITE) project. The consultant will serve as team leader and evaluator for the overall evaluation reporting to the Cairo-based SIMPLE Senior Evaluation Specialist or his designate. The evaluation is expected to take place from early January to late March 2018 with an estimated level of effort of 70 work days (based on a six-day work week in Egypt) with 60 work days in Egypt.
The Tourism Team of the Economic Growth Office at USAID/Egypt is seeking an end of project performance evaluation of the Sustainable Investment in Tourism in Egypt (SITE) project. The evaluation will examine the effectiveness of two cooperative agreements, the American Research Center in Egypt (ARCE) and Ancient Egypt Research Associates (AERA). The evaluation will specifically focus on evaluating the interventions proposed and implemented at cultural heritage sites in Egypt by both awardees in response to the SITE Cultural Tourism Annual Program Statement (APS).
Findings of this evaluation will assist USAID in determining the human development and economic impact the interventions have had at the selected sites, and feed into future decision making in this sector. Findings will also help USAID determine if the interventions were effective in promoting better management of cultural heritage resources and enhancing the sites’ cultural tourism potential. USAID/Egypt will review and share the executive summary, final report and recommendations with both implementing partners, the Ministry of Antiquities, the Ministry of Tourism and the general public through posting on USAID Development Education Clearinghouse (DEC) online.
SIMPLE is seeking to engage the services of a senior international consultant specialized in evaluating cultural heritage and tourism projects to serve as team leader, collaborating with the SIMPLE evaluation team to design and conduct an end-of-term performance evaluation of USAID/Egypt’s Cultural Heritage Tourism (CHT) in Egypt project.
The consultant will serve as team leader and evaluator for the overall evaluation reporting to the locally-based SIMPLE Senior Evaluation Specialist or his designate. The senior international consultant will collaborate in designing and refining the mixed methods performance evaluation tools, analysis of quantitative and qualitative data, ensure that sound methodological and quality assurance practices are applied, incorporate generally accepted evaluation best practices, and use the evaluation’s findings to construct a comprehensive report as per USAID guidance.
The evaluation is expected to take place from early January to late March 2018 with an estimated level of effort of 70 work days (based on a six-day work week in Egypt) with 60 work days in Egypt.
- Conduct a desk review and provide technical guidance to the team on the mixed methods to be used in the midterm performance evaluation.
- Collaborate on the development and finalization of end-of-term performance evaluation design documents including: evaluation work plan with data collection and analysis plan, data quality assurance plans, analysis plan and other relevant design documents.
- Lead the evaluation team in the development and finalization of the midterm performance evaluation work plan including the identification of key stakeholders as well as developing and presenting data collection tools and field data collection plan to USAID for approval.
- Conduct data collection activities as per the USAID approved data collection tools and work plan.
- Lead the qualitative and quantitative analysis of all information/data collected within the USAID approved timeline.
- Supervise the work of evaluation team members throughout the contract period.
- Lead the preparation and presentation of findings, conclusions and recommendations for debriefing relevant USAID Program Office and Office of Economic Growth staff.
- Prepare the draft and final results report, expanded executive summary and, as appropriate, any statement of differences in response to comments from relevant USAID and key stakeholder reviewers.
- A master’s degree, PhD is preferable, in Cultural Heritage, Investment in Tourism, Economics, Social Science or equivalent.
- 10 years of demonstrated experience designing and implementing evaluations in general and; experience in Sustainable Investment in Tourism highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience developing structured key informant protocols, group discussion protocols and paper and pencil based survey instruments.
- Demonstrated experience analyzing mid and/or large survey data sets using SPSS, STATA, or alternative standardized software.
- Demonstrated experience preparing final results reports and PowerPoint presentations of key findings, conclusions and recommendations of field research.
- Demonstrated data visualization skills highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in Cultural Heritage or Tourism Projects highly desirable.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to be flexible and work well under pressure, dealing with competing priorities, in a fast-paced team environment.
- Demonstrated experience evaluating USAID projects is required.
- Excellent English with high degree of proficiency in technical reporting writing required.