Location: Home based/ with some travels to Kinshasa, Goma and Bukavu
Starting date: Mid-February 2020
Supervisor: Project Director
Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly launched hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped our partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
Internews is a non-profit organisation operating internationally, with administrative centres in California, Washington DC, London and Paris as well as regional hubs in Bangkok, Kiev and Nairobi. Formed in 1982, Internews currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
International Internews is seeking for International expert in Conflict analysis and Conflict prevention and mitigation techniques to support research conducted by partner women led CSOs and CBOs. The objective of this research is to support advocacy at 1) grassroot, local and provincial levels in the following targeted provinces of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), (Tanganyika, North and South Kivu and Ituri) and 2) at national level, to engage public decision makers in innovative conflict resolution interventions. This Expert must be fluent in both French and English.
Partner women-led CSOs and CBOs will establish local early-warning discussion groups that will collect data and information to feed conflict analysis research, shared with public decision makers and key stakeholders.
Internews is implementing a project funded by DFID through the Jo Cox Memorial Grant aiming at reducing violence in Eastern Congo (Ituri, North and South Kivu, and Tanganyika provinces). Partners’ capacity to monitor changing grassroots-level conflicts will be increased with early warning information shared; participation at local/provincial/national level will be increased in the delivery of innovative conflict prevention interventions; and documentation of innovative conflict prevention.
In the Democratic Republic of Congo, Internews implements several projects related to information, communication with the communication and citizen inclusion in public decision-making process, with a focus on women and the youth. Internews activities aim to support advocacy strategies of Congolese CSOs for press freedom and access to public information, reinforce capacities of media professionals and independent media outlets, and enhance information sharing between public decisions makers, journalists, citizens and civil society. Other Internews projects contribute to strengthen women participation to the democratic debate, maintain social cohesion or contribute to strengthen communication with communities in the Ebola response in North Kivu and Ituri. Internews has offices in Kinshasa, Bukavu, Goma, Beni and Butembo.
The International Consultant will support women partner organizations in the analysis of data and information collected by grassroot early warning discussion groups and women-led CBOs and the draft of comprehensive reports to be shared with public decision makers and key stakeholders.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Support women-led partner CSOs in the design of a comprehensive analytic framework, including case studies and monitoring of innovative conflict solutions;
- Support women-led partner CSOs and the Project Director in the design of quarterly conflict analysis reports including case studies, context analysis and monitoring of innovative women-driven conflict mitigation/resolution initiatives;
- Support women-led partner CSOs and the Project Director in the publication of high-quality reports both in English and ensure that translation in French is reliable;
- Advise women-led partner CSOs and the Project Director in the production of interactive multimedia content supporting conflict analysis reports, including audio and video materials, infographics and maps.
- Deliver 7 Conflict Analysis reports – not more than 25 pages during the period of performance, in English;
- Report on field visits to support women led CSOs (Kinshasa, Goma, Bukavu)
Field visits – Women-led CSOs (Kinshasa, Goma and Bukavu)
Analysis of field reports
Advice on the production of interactive additional content
Writing of reports
7 x 10 = 70 workdays
The period of performance is February 15th, 2020 to September 30th, 2021.
- 10 years of professional experience working in conflict mitigation and support to civil society and/or community-based organizations;
- Extensive experience in research on local conflicts in Sub-Saharan Africa, research on Eastern Congo local conflicts is clearly a plus;
- Extensive knowledge of the Eastern Congo context;
- Solid experience in building capacities of women organizations;
- Fluency in English required, working knowledge of French is required;
- Fluency or knowledge of Swahili is a plus.
Technical offer should include methodology, proposed timeline and;
- CV of Expert
- Provide track records and references for similar consultancies
- Financial offer
Deadline for applications: 15 February 2020