Position Title: Internal Medicine Consultant
Reports To: Clinical services Lead and Chief Medical Officer PIH-SL Location: Koidu Government Hospital (Kono District)
Length of Service and/or Assignment:
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change. Our delivered services in the field are based in our partnership with the Governments and Ministries of Health and the support to education, training and mentorship to Health care workers and students is one of our pillars for the Health care system strengthening.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
Our Work In Sierra Leone:
Partners In Health (PIH) began supporting the government of Sierra Leone in response to the Ebola epidemic in October 2014. Recognizing the large need for continued investments in the health system after Ebola, PIH is committed to long-term health system strengthening in support of the Ministry of Health and Sanitation (MOHS), guided by the same principles as our emergency response and our work around the world: public sector accompaniment, integrated and comprehensive services, social justice, nimbleness and flexibility, partnership, community ownership, and evidence-based interventions. In the aftermath of the epidemic, PIH is committed to supporting the delivery of comprehensive health services in Sierra Leone, from the community level to the health centre and to referral hospitals.
Our work in Kono district:
Partners in Health (PIH) currently is supporting MoHS at the Secondary level hospital in Kono, Koidu Government hospital (KGH), in a holistic perspective giving support to all the different clinical services in the hospital; that goes from the triage system implemented at the entrance, the Internal Medicine and the Emergency department for adults, Non communicable diseases (NCD) clinic, Paediatric department (including resuscitation Unit, general ward and Neonatal care Unit), Reproductive, maternal and neonatal care, Surgical services, Mental health clinic, Outpatient clinic, HIV/TB services (inpatient and outpatient), COVID 19 Isolation Unit and Treatment centre, Hepatitis B clinic and every clinical service available for patients.
Besides, PIH is supporting the clinical activities at Welbody Clinic (WBC) and is actively working to replicate the work done at both WBC and KGH to other primary health centres across Kono district.
The internal Medicine Consultant is expected to bring to the existing clinical team working at those PIH-supported facilities high level of knowledge and skills that will progressively contribute to the organization ambition to provide high quality of health services to the people that we served, as well as to support the vision to train the next generation of health care workers in the country by providing effective mentorship, on-the-job training and formal training sessions to the clinical staff.
When requested the consultant is also expected to contribute to the overall PIH-SL strategies and planning processes by sharing his/her expertise to support the development of tools, clinical guidelines, clinical protocols and other related documents. He/she will also participate when requested in our effort to strengthen our partnership with the ministry of health by also sharing his/her experience and expertise on areas related to MOHS effort to strengthen the provision of quality of care to its population.
- Serve as Koidu Government Hospital (KGH) Internal Medicine Consultant and second opinion to clinicians of other PIH sites (Wellbody Clinic, SLPTH, Lakka Teaching Hospital and CHCs).
- Daily rounds in Medical Wards, Emergency Unit and Maternity High dependency Unit at KGH. This position will support the other clinical staff to develop expertise and knowledge in Internal Medicine (Medical officers, CHOs, nurses, etc) .
- Facilitating the growth of outpatient care such as clinics for Internal Medicine but also support to specialized ones: NCDs and Hepatitis B.
- Supervision of the CHOs and Medical officers in the Medical ward including provision of clinical mentorship
- Management of medical cases according to national and international clinical guidelines in the wards with bedside teaching for medical officers and CHOs.
- Work with the PIH HIV/TB Program Manager to provide high standards of care to the patients in these areas, supportive supervision to health care workers for HIV/TB services in KGH (Including testing, treating, OI management, etc).
- Clinical work at the Infectious Diseases Unit in collaboration with the MoHS staff.
- Participation in district hospitals, outpatient clinics, community health clinics case reviews, and other activities that may increase the knowledge and expertise in Clinical Medicine with special interest in Internal Medicine and Infectious diseases, as required.
- The Internal Medicine consultant is also expected to actively participate in and support the PIH program systems, such as the MEQ data collection systems and feedback loops, the KPI presentations and discussions and other general systems that will help support the General clinical outcomes and the Clinical Outcomes in particular.
- The Internal medicine consultant at KGH, in collaboration with the Clinical services Lead, Director of Nursing and Clinical educator, is also expected to actively make inputs to the clinical trainings curriculum for other cadres of clinical staff at KGH.
- Interest in Clinical and Academic development of the facility and its staff.
- Be willing to work in any other department as needed and ability to create a positive and rich environment to work in collaboration with any other department or facility.
- Clinical work:
- Medical wards, Triage and Emergency Unit, Maternity High Dependency Unit, Infectious diseases Unit, NCD and Hepatitis B clinic.
- Collaboration with CHO and Medical officers rounding on medical wards and Clinical advice to other departments in KGH, WBC and PIH supported CHCs.
- Collaborate with the Pediatric and Surgical consultant, HIV/TB Program manager, OBS/GYN Consultants, Mental health team, Clinical Educator, Director of Nursing and Clinical services lead in achieving the highest standards of care for patients at KGH, WBC and PIH supported CHCs.
- Participate in the roster of Internal medicine to cover with the other members of the Internal Medicine team the clinical services 24/7 in the Emergency and Internal Medicine department as needed with close mentorship of CHO and Medical Officers and nurses during the clinical rounds.
- As the Internal Medicine consultant, serve as the point of contact for the following:
- Support the National and International guidelines at KGH with the supervision of the Clinical services Lead and Chief Medical Officer
- Referral team – collaborate with the Director of Nursing, Clinical services Lead & Social Work Program Manager as needed for patients requiring referral for diagnostic or specialty services to other facilities
- Work closely with the Clinical services Lead, Chief Medical Officer and Kono Leadership team on strategic planning and budgeting for our Medical work.
Additional skills/ knowledge/experience preferred:
- HIV/TB clinical and program management strongly preferred
- Experience in treating malaria, Hepatitis B and other Infectious diseases
- Experience in Non communicable diseases (NCD) such as HTN, DM, CV disease, Cancer, Mental health, etc management strongly preferred
- Experience in Emergency and Acute Critical medicine
- Experience in Ultrasound is desirable
A successful candidate will lead by example, embodying the values of PIH, including: doing whatever it takes to provide the highest level of service to our patients; treating every member of our organization and community with equal respect and dignity; fostering a sense of generosity and teamwork; and working patiently, yet persistently, to accompany our government partners to achieve our shared goals.
- Qualifications: Consultant or equivalent in Internal medicine (More than 5 years of experience after graduation), preferable through Post Graduate training specialization. Professional registration in home country.
- Experience: At least 5 years post-registration experience. Experience in delivering medical education for an academic institution is essential.
- Personal Characteristics: Excellent interpersonal and intercultural skills, as well as confidence working within a multicultural team and with senior nurses and CHOs from partner institutions; skilled at multitasking and prioritizing, working independently with minimal supervision, and leading and designing projects autonomously; an appreciation of the philosophy behind PIH health partnerships.
- It would be advantageous if the candidate had:
- An educational qualification, Master in Global health or diploma in tropical medicine (or equivalent)
- More than 6 months’ experience of work experience in low resources settings.
- Previous experience of working in similar setting to Sierra Leone will be appreciated.
- Experience in HIV/TB, Tropical diseases and Emergency care preferred.
- Skills in use of Ultrasound
- A strong commitment to social justice and health as a human right is essential in all aspects of the leadership and management
- Ability to be flexible and effective in the face of unexpected challenges.
- Exemplary interpersonal communication skills, verbal and written, required to effectively engage with senior leadership, partners, and clinicians on sensitive political and confidential issues.
- Proven ability to exercise good judgment, demonstrate political astuteness, and tact.
- Sense of humor and flexible disposition very helpful.
- Willingness to live in Kono district full-time.
- Computer basic skills: Office, Internet and data base systems.