DATE: March 2021
DEPARTMENT: Front Office
SUPERVISOR: Vice President
The Internal Communications Advisor provides strategic direction and leadership in developing and implementing an internal communications strategy that connects, informs and supports NDI’s 1,000+ staff members worldwide. The Advisor develops and implements internal communications initiatives that engage NDI’s global team as active ambassadors, reinforce institutional priorities, shape organizational culture, and strengthen collaboration among employees. Projects include communications management and governance, standardization of processes and templates, and alignment of channels and systems. While some of these projects are currently known, the Advisor will also be responsible for proactively identifying opportunities for improvement.
The successful candidate will be creative, with strong organizational skills and will work best in a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment. As well as key professional skills, the candidate will have excellent communication and interpersonal relationship skills.
This is a new position, reporting to the Vice President, based in Washington DC.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with NDI teams to review and update our approach to informing and engaging global staff.
- Lead the development of new planning tools, communications activities, and resources to promote collaboration, learning and accountability.
- Build and execute complex communication plans that include templates, style guides and editorial calendars, and measure overall effectiveness.
- Act as editorial lead for NDI’s internal communications portal, working with colleagues to plan, develop and publish content.
- Project manage publications, events and communications products as needed.
- Write and/or edit copy for communications products and resources.
- Regularly assess the effectiveness of communication processes, and use data and evidence-based methods to propose and test new approaches.
- Contribute, through everyday actions, to an organizational culture of diversity, commitment to social change, high performance, continuous quality improvement and innovation.
- Keep abreast of new trends and innovations in internal communications, bringing fresh insights into the organization.
- Support and advise senior NDI staff on internal communication matters as needed.
Education and/or experience
- Bachelor’s degree or international equivalent in Journalism, English, Communications or related field.
- A minimum of 12 years of internal communications experience, preferably working within a non-governmental organization (NGO), including 3 years in management or lead capacity.
- A thorough understanding of the communications channel mix with experience of designing and implementing internal communications strategies and plans.
- Experience turning information into engaging, timely, and valuable content for various employee audiences.
- Consistent record of delivering effective and creative communications programs which produce tangible results or change.
- Experience working collaboratively cross functionally and holding people accountable for deliverables without a formal reporting structure.
- Experience developing communications plans for diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives is a plus.
Required Skills and abilities
- A self-starter, able to initiate and drive new projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including copywriting, copy editing and proofreading.
- Excellent communications project management, planning and prioritization skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage teams effectively to accomplish goals in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience of using Intranet Content Management Systems (CMS).
- Experience working with international organizations and in multicultural settings
- Demonstrable experience of working effectively in a team.
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities and tight deadlines.
- A proactive approach to work and the confidence to put forward ideas.
- Fluency in English required. Proficiency in French and/or Spanish a plus.
Work Environment: Remote work environment at the time of hire. In-office work options available and standard office work environment in the future when appropriate to accommodate.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.