International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over three hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.
Assignment Title: Intermittent Secondary Education Specialist
Technical Point of Contact: Program Manager
IBTCI is working with the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) to implement five-year compacts in Timor-Leste and Côte d’Ivoire. We are providing advisory services on secondary education and vocational-technical education and are looking for secondary education specialists for intermittent home-based short-term assignments in order to review and prepare syntheses and analyses of documents (e.g., reports, studies, manuals, educational materials, professional papers, etc.) which may be in French (in the case of Côte d’Ivoire) or Portuguese or Tetum (in the case of Timor-Leste), including as appropriate comments, suggestions, or recommendations, etc. to help guide MCC and/or the governments of the respective countries in implementing activities. We are not looking for translators, but rather for experienced educational analysts.
Scope of Work:
- Prepare desk studies and review documents related to secondary education in Timor-Leste and/or Côte d’Ivoire.
- Develop syntheses and make actionable recommendations and suggestions, in collaboration with other specialists.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position does not authorize/require the consultant to directly communicate with IBTCI clients.
This position does not authorize/require the consultant to have decision making authority on final work product.
- Reading knowledge of French, Portuguese, or Tetum as related to the education sector required.
- At least five years’ experience in in-service and pre-service teacher and administrator training, curriculum and materials, gender and equity, educational administration (from school-based to system-wide), vocational-technical education, pedagogical methodology, EMIS, educational finance, tests and measurements, assessment, evaluation, or distance learning in a developing country context.
- Ability to write technical reports in English. (While clearly desirable, normally there will not be a need to write reports in French or Portuguese.)
- Reasonable access to a personal computer with Microsoft Word and reasonably reliable access to the Internet.
- Oral and written fluency in English required.
Please note that this project involves strengthening secondary education, vocational-technical education, and education systems; primary education and tertiary education except with respect to in-service and pre-service capacity building are not involved.
Education: Master’s or equivalent in education or any other relevant field.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in implementation and management of a development activity, preferably in the education sector.
- Field experience in a Francophone or Lusophone country.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Physical Requirements: These are sedentary positions that require the ability to use a personal computer with Internet connectivity.
Travel: These are home-based positions with no travel required.
Please note this statement of work is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. We are an E-Verify Employer. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact Human Resources at 703-749-0100.