Annual Planning / Strategy Review (AP/SR) Execution & Improvement
The Chief Strategy Officer and Chief Financial Officer serve as the business process owners for the foundation’s annual planning and strategy review process. In this capacity, they are responsible for execution of the end-to-end process, as well as continuous improvement of supporting templates, tools and guidance via a prioritized CI plan that fuses leadership feedback with input from stakeholders across the foundation to improve the value to decision support and overall efficiency of the process.
The Decision Support Project is an effort to co-design, test and evaluate a new portfolio management approach for the foundation that aims to improve the transparency of decisions, visibility of resource allocations, and help leaders manage in ways that promote collective success. The project will prototype new ways of using strategic, financial, and human resource information, as well as governance and process, to make decisions. The project staff will work alongside programmatic and operational teams over a multi-year prototype period to co-develop and evaluate solutions prior to scaling to the foundation.
Two limited term project roles are open for recruitment. The positions are targeted for ~12-18 months starting no later than early January 2018 (ideally December 2017). Important note regarding FTE candidates; with Manager Support if selected for the role, internal FTEs will retain their FTE status. Managers will have the option of backfilling for individual moving to Foundation Portfolio Management through stretch opportunities, LTE or contingent worker arrangements.
Position 1 Annual Planning/Strategy Review: (Sr. PM/PM) Primary emphasis: Manage the Annual Planning and Strategy Review process with a strong emphasis on development and implementation of continuous improvement efforts; change management, communications, and stakeholder engagement strategy in collaboration with project team members. Secondary emphasis: Contribute to solution co-design and implementation.
Position 2 – Decision Support: (Sr. BA/BA) Primary emphasis: Collaborate with programmatic and operational partners to test, evaluate, and continuously improve business solutions. Secondary emphasis: Assist with change management, communications, stakeholder engagement, and readiness for scale.
Both positions will report to the Business Project Lead for Foundation Portfolio Management, Thomas Mitchell.
What we’re looking for:
Both projects require knowledge of the foundation, a healthy appetite for pushing the boundaries for how we work, and a passionate interest in learning how to do better business design and implementation at the foundation.
Additional skills and attributes we’re looking to bring to the team include:
- Systems Thinking: Ability to identify upstream dependencies and downstream ripple effects and integration points.
- Risk Taking and Innovation: Motivation to look outside the box to develop solutions and implement bold new approaches.
- Critical Thinking/Analysis skills: Keen ability to know the right questions to ask and know when the right question is answered. Being able to pin-point the problem to be solved, and ability to hone in on paths to get to solutions.
- Interest in developing Lean process (re) design skills: Ability to identify value and waste, and execute on methodology.
- Communication skills: Effective at communicating information and trade-offs to all levels of the organization.
- Facilitation skills: Ability to accelerate work by effectively translating various perspectives to achieve common outcomes.
What’s in it for you?
- Contribute to the future direction of how we work at the foundation on key topics: how we allocate and manage resources and how we make and manage investments;
- Learn about different areas of the foundation, and build new connections across the foundation with other partners and teams; and
- Build new skills and capabilities in business design, change management and implementation.
Please note: The job postings will be open until Friday, December 1st at 5pm.
General job description for this Senior Program Manager/Program Manager role is included below. Title level will be dependent on the candidate’s experience commensurate with responsibilities and team equity.
Job Summary – Senior Program Manager/Program Manager
Recognized expert in managing projects with a demonstrated record of success on highly complex and risky, business critical programs. Responsible for leading these programs from initiation through closure to achieve the program’s strategic objectives. Expected to help align and shape organizational and strategic decisions at the senior management level that affect program goals, and must regularly coordinate and manage program activities at the senior leadership level.
- Responsible for all the program activities related to program definition, program benefits delivery, and program closure – incorporating change management throughout. May include management of program-related work that is part of ongoing operations. Includes integrated project scheduling, budgeting and forecasting, resource planning, contracting, risk and issue management, integrated change control and release management.
- Responsible for the program/function team management; assesses staffing capacity and capability needed to support strategic priorities; monitors staff deployment and workload across the program/function team.
- Establishes processes and procedures for maintaining program oversight and decision-making support for policies and practices throughout the course of the program.
- Accountable for ensuring program complies with established enterprise portfolio management governance and processes including intake, quarterly reviews, and annual planning.
Leadership and Culture
We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal things.
Core Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated complex program management skills and a successful track record of leading or managing multiple projects simultaneously. Includes measuring project results, and creating dashboards / scorecards. including project definition, planning / scoping the work, establishing governance and stakeholders, organizing work meaningfully, designing appropriate solutions, implementing the solutions, managing change, communicating, and monitoring for ultimate impact/effectiveness.
- Demonstrated excellence in influence and leadership, ability to build trust, is a team leader and player who motivates and educates other team members and understands the value of interpersonal relationship building.
- Strong leadership skills, initiative, persistence, diplomacy, pragmatism, and flexibility.
- Strong management skills, balanced strategic and tactical focus, and initiative.
- Ability to reconcile multiple competing viewpoints and often to negotiate across stakeholders.
Education and Experience – Bachelor’s or other advanced degree with 7+ years of experience, or equivalent experience.