Background/IRC Summary: Founded in 1933, The IRC is a leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. The IRC has been resettling refugees in Turlock, California, for over 15 years, providing reception and placement services to newly arrived refugees. The office provides numerous supplemental programs to assist refugees and IRC clients including education and employment programming and immigration services.
Job Overview/Summary: The VESL Instructor is responsible to teach group based education programs in the Turlock and Modesto offices including Cultural Orientation, Vocational English as a Second Language and Job Readiness Training. This position reports to the Education Supervisor.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Teach Cultural Orientation, VESL and Job Readiness training programs in Turlock and Modesto offices
- Assess students in order to evaluate progress
- Track and Report student attendance
- Support Education Coordinator to evaluate instructional effectiveness and make changes to curriculum as needed
- Stay current on best practices, pedagogical approaches, and strategies to engage adult non-native English speaking learners
- Participate in weekly Education team coordination meetings
- Work collaboratively with volunteer instructors and class assistants
- Participate in all program meetings, staff development activities, and fully engages as a member of the team
- Comply with all policies, procedures and protocols of the agency
- Other related duties as assigned
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Education Supervisor
Position Indirectly Reports to: Modesto-Turlock Site Manager
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related subject such as education required; Masters degree preferred
- TESOL (or similar relevant) certification required
- 2+ years’ experience teaching ESL
- Experience developing curriculum preferred
- Experience teaching Limited English Proficiency (LEP) students.
- Experience with workforce and job training programs preferred
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Previous multi-cultural experience and demonstrated ability to communicate well with people of varied backgrounds strongly preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required
- Experience using data and tracking systems strongly preferred
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Fluency in additional languages common to client populations preferred
- Standard office work environment.
- Regular travel to and between Turlock and Modesto office required.