CONSULTANCY TERMS OF REFERENCE
Information Systems Management Consultant, Ukraine
Kyiv, other locations, Ukraine
Length of project
Up to 6-months. Starting as soon as possible.
About the Ukraine Programme
Since the Russian invasion of 24th February 2022, Ukraine has been subjected to heavy artillery bombardment, missiles and air strikes, as well as the use of landmines and cluster munitions. The scale of the conflict and the use of high impact and indiscriminate weapons requires an urgent and extensive response. MAG responded to the crisis in 2022 and is now in a dynamic scale up phase having secured funding for 2023/24 and is conducting explosive ordnance risk education and recruiting multiple demining teams. The programme has representation in Kyiv and Kropyvnytski.
Overall purpose of the consultancy
There is an immediate need for an interim ISM consultant to deploy as soon as possible to assist/support the programme with setting up the information management system for Ukraine.
The Information System Management Consultant shall support the operations department in setting this system up, supervised by the MAG Technical Operations Manager (TOM). Overall, the ISM consultant shall contribute towards the set-up and successful delivery of MAG’s Country Operational Plan to ensure high levels of safety, quality, innovation and continual improvement, and promote the sharing of expertise, learning and development inside MAG.
The ISM consultant is primarily responsible for supporting and ensuring the set-up and initial management of programme operational data systems, that will ensure the production of accurate, informative mapping to assist MAG’s humanitarian demining operations.
The information management system will be the means by which MAG’s operational activities are properly recorded, processed, analysed and disseminated. The ISM Consultant will, with support from MAG where necessary, be expected to fully grasp the range of MAG’s proposed mine action operational activities in Ukraine and the relevant data and information which will need to be produced by MAG’s Operations Management Information System (OMIS).
The consultant will:
- Support the effective development of a specialist information system for the MAG Ukraine programme.
- Develop and improve databases and ensure that programme information will be suitably stored and backed up to ensure business continuity.
- Assist the programme management staff, in designing and implementing suitable monitoring and evaluation tools to assist the programme to understand the humanitarian impact of its operations.
- Propose updates for mobile data collection forms and propose methods to ensure that mobile data collection devices are being used correctly.
- Prepare GIS mapping products (electronic and hard copy) to support and respond to technical operations, the programme, donors, and other requirements.
MAG has in place a suitable and relevant OMIS in Ukraine that meets national and programmatic reporting requirements.
Sharing of Information
All consultancy findings and information will remain the property of MAG.
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Strong track record in setting-up, implementing and managing IM/GIS projects.
- Field experience in relevant IM/GIS operational approaches and methodologies.
- Experience in undertaking quality assurance and monitoring and evaluation of IM/GIS projects.
- Experience in spatial analysis applied to performance analysis mapping, contamination mapping and others e.g. flood, earthquake etc.
- Strong skills in working with ESRI ArcGIS and related tools (ArcGIS Online and various mobile and desktop applications).
- Experience in managing various databases (FGDB, SQL DB, etc.)
- Experience in designing data collection forms (Survey123, ODK, CommCare, etc.)
- Knowledge of surveying tools (Handheld GPS, DGPS)
- Advanced knowledge in computer handling and data acquisition.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Applications (particularly Excel)
- Strong data analysis and visualization skills.
- Ability to establish efficient professional working relationships with stakeholders including national and regional authorities.
- Experience in implementing information management systems and developing supporting policies and procedures.
- Experience in working collaboratively to improve data management practices.
- Ability to train and develop staff in information management techniques
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
- Ability to produce high-quality reports for internal and external distribution (knowledge of data driven map production)
- Experience with programming languages (Python, SQL, etc.)
- Experience working with IMSMANG
- Knowledge of IMSMA CORE
- Knowledge of ArcGIS Enterprise
MAG requires all consultants to go through a background checks process. This is completed at the time of appointment. This includes our Policy on Personal Conduct, which applies to all those that represent MAG, including consultants.
You will receive a security brief for Ukraine on arrival. We will also ask you to complete some key online security training courses prior to travel. Further information on these will be provided in due course.
MAG will also provide medical insurance, accommodation, laptop, flights and other administration support, including visa support where necessary.
How to apply
Application is by submission of the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A cover letter, setting out:
o Your suitability for the consultancy, including specific details of any relevant past experience;
o An outline of your availability, including the earliest you would be available (subject to visa and other background checks) and the length you would be available for (up to a maximum of six months)
o A cost proposal, either as a daily, weekly or monthly rate, for this work.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the advert will close if a suitable candidate is found. Therefore, please submit your application as soon as possible.