SNV Netherlands Development Organization is a not-for-profit international development organizational founded in the Netherlands in 1965; and currently maintains a global presence in 30 countries; across Africa, Asia and Latin America. SNV has been present in Uganda since 1989 and currently undertakes donor funded programming within 100+ districts across the country. As an organisation, SNV focuses on the Agriculture, WASH and Energy sectors and maintains the belief that no one should have to live in poverty; and that all people should have the opportunity to pursue their own sustainable development. SNV contributes to programming within the Agriculture, WASH and Energy sectors by strengthening the capacities of targeted partners and communities at the field level; in order to realize increased skill sets and sustainable performance; reduce poverty levels, expand employment; improve food security; while paying special attention to gender equity, social inclusion of marginalized groups and stakeholder accountability.
As our programme in Uganda continues to grow, we are looking for a highly experienced dynamic professionals to join our team. Interested candidates should meet the basic qualifications outlined within the Candidate Profile and exhibit a strong desire to be a catalyst for change.
For more information on our operations in Uganda and SNV, visit our website: http://www.snv.org
Overview of the Position
The Inclusive Agribusiness Expert / Country Project Manager has the responsibility of the development and implementation of inclusive business cases whereby climate smart agriculture interventions are integrated into the value chain from an agronomic, financial and inclusion perspective. Prioritised value chain commodities are pulses, oilseed, potatoes and grains. The incumbent will identify and support business cases for the co-investment fund and broker access to finance and investment of the businesses. S/he will coordinate and work with financial institutional partners to scale climate smart investments, as well as with service providers of climate smart solutions, innovations and technologies to further the objective of the project by providing affordable and accessible climate interventions to all stakeholders operating within the targeted value chains. The incumbent will take on delegated responsibility of in-country project management from the overall three country project manager, who is based in Uganda.
The Expert/PM reports directly to the overall Project Manager for CSA East Africa and the Uganda Country Director and collaborates closely with the Agriculture global sector team.
- Coordinate and contribute to value chains and climate risk assessments of prioritised commodities (pulses, oilseed, potatoes and grains);
- Identify inclusive business case development for the climate innovation and investment facility;
- Support agribusinesses to develop their business cases incorporating climate smart technologies, innovations and solutions (incl. energy efficiencies);
- Identify and link climate serviced providers to business case stakeholders for accessible and affordable wide scale adoption of climate practices, technologies, and innovations;
- Establish appraisal criteria for the co-investment fund, design milestone based payment scheme and contribute to the assessment of the business cases;
- Coordinate with the fund manager the planning and disbursement of grant funds;
- Support the implementation and roll-out of business cases;
- Broker access to finance and investments between SME’s and financial institutions;
- Monitor and report the performance of the business cases as per the set milestones;
- Advise financial institutions on climate smart business investments to leverage climate finance money;
- Set-up of coaching programs on agribusiness management for female entrepreneurs and youth;
- Support agribusiness platforms to promote, advise and jointly agree on climate proofing value chains, policy recommendations and climate smart investments;
- Manage the in-country project in all aspects of project management: budgets, work planning, human resource, activities and reporting;
- Oversee and support country project implementation, link and collaborate with the Kenya and Tanzania project managers, and report to the regional project manager.
- A relevant academic qualification: Agribusiness, Agricultural Economy or Business Administration;
- Minimum of ten years of experience of working with or in Agribusiness, preferably in the prioritised commodities (pulses, oilseed, potatoes and grains);
- Knowledge of the prioritized commodities preferably at global level and in Uganda;
- Experience in value chain development, climate smart agriculture, energy efficient solutions, and agribusiness finance, preferable experience with climate finance;
- Ability and demonstrated experience of designing and appraising inclusive business cases;
- Experience in female and youth entrepreneurship programs;
- Strong agribusiness relationship management experience and focus with the ability to stimulate trust and confidence with clients and investors including managing various stakeholders;
- Understanding of climate change risk management and inclusion of smallholder producers into the supply chain;
- Proven track record in project management, specifically in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management for large scale comprehensive projects;
- International work experience and the ability to effectively coach and lead a team of advisors in a multi-cultural setting;
- Excellent communication (written and oral), reporting and presentation skills;
- Flexible approach to take on additional responsibilities as assigned/delegated by the Country Director;
- Willingness to travel to all project locations within Uganda and beyond.
Terms of Appointment
Application Deadline: by 23rd Feb 2020.
Contract Duration: 3 years initial contract with possible extension
Contract Type: Uganda National Contract
Duty Stations: Kampala
Desired Start Date: 1st April 2020