Background/IRC Summary: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a leading non-sectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection, and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. The San Jose IRC office serves approximately 160 refugees annually providing them a fresh start and opportunities to use their greatest resources—their motivation, their skills and their experiences—to become independent and self-sufficient new Americans.
Job Overview/Summary: Immigration Caseworker provides immigration services and conducts outreach to refugees, asylees, and immigrants in the community. This is a full –time, 37.5 hours/week role, that may require occasional weekend and/or evening work. This is a non-exempt position, eligible for overtime. This position reports directly to the Immigration Manager located in the Oakland office with a ‘dotted line’ daily oversight by the San Jose Site Supervisor.
- Conduct outreach to local refugee, asylee and other immigrant communities about the availability of low-cost immigration legal services,
- Assist BIA accredited representatives with opening and sorting mail, taking appropriate action on notices from USCIS, and file management,
- Under supervision of Immigration Manager and BIA accredited representative in San Jose office, screen and assist eligible individuals to file applications and petitions for immigration benefits such as adjustment of status, family petitions, naturalization, DACA and other immigration benefits,
- Maintain accurate immigration records and review all files periodically for quality control and to ensure timely application submissions and follow up on all communications regarding filed applications and petitions. Prepare all files for continued follow-up,
- Adhere to the IRC’s financial accounting and record-keeping policies,
- Maintain accurate project tracking records and submit all required reports on time,
- Attend program-related meetings with USCIS, CBOs, Collaborations and report back to Immigration Manager,
- Attend all IRC immigration and other trainings and webinars (CLINIC, etc…) in preparation for BIA accreditation,
- Participate in all program meetings, staff development activities, and fully engages as a member of the team
- Comply with all policies, procedures and protocols of the agency
- Other related duties as assigned
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Immigration Manager in Oakland
Position directly supervises: N/A
Indirect Reporting: Site Manager in San Jose
Other Internal and/or external contacts: N/A
- Undergraduate degree preferred,
- 2+ years relevant work experience in immigration or human services field,
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English and demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment and with limited-English speakers,
- Proven ability to contribute both independently and as a team member, to take initiative and follow instructions,
- Well-organized with the proven ability to prioritize duties and manage time effectively.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook),
- Ability to manage databases a plus,
- Proficiency in more than one language desired, Spanish language preferred,
- Valid driver’s license, clean driving record, access to a reliable personal vehicle and current auto insurance
Working Environment: Standard office work environment blended with travel in and around the service delivery area.
Salary Range: $40,000-41,000