Human Resources and Administration Specialist
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute providing research, development, and technical services to government and commercial clients worldwide. The Food Security and Agriculture division within the International Development Group is implementing the USAID-funded Feed the Future Facilitate Investment Required For Sustainable ExporT (FTF FIRST) activity in Rwanda. FTF FIRST is a five-year program that will work with and through the Government of Rwanda (GOR) to boost economic growth by increasing export of the country’s high-value agricultural crops such as coffee, tea, fresh beans, peppers, and chili.
The Human Resources and Administration Specialist (HR & Admin Specialist) is responsible for managing the HR and administrative duties for the Project. S/he will be responsible for managing the day-to-day administrative function of the project and maximizing the strategic use of human resources and maintain functions such as recruitment, personnel policies, and regulatory compliance. The individual will also recommend and administer effective the RTI personnel policies and procedures that abide by the legal requirements and the sound practice of the HR field. He /She provide guidance and support to managers regarding personnel policies and procedures, training, disciplinary action, and other personnel issues; implement RTI staff compensation and benefits programs based on RTI salary structures in collaboration with the project management and the HR Business partner or the Regional HR office. The individual will be responsible for handling logistical arrangements for meetings and workshops, preparing monthly activity plans, and maintaining project files.
- Provide operational HR support to project leadership while supporting the HR planning process for effective project HR programing.
- Coordinate project recruitment and assist with the, posting, responding to applicants, short listing, screening of candidates, setting up and participation in interview panels and documentation processing. interviewing and complete the full cycle of recruitment and selection.
- Review, disseminate, ensure full compliance of HR policy guidelines and country employee handbooks in tandem with local labor laws, client rules and regulations, RTI policies, values, ethics, procedures and strategies, effective implementation of the internal control framework and proper functioning of the HR policy framework.
- Disseminate HR communication, priorities, and allocated tasks; and ensure strict adherence to procedures in the area of selection and recruitment of temporary and longer-term staff.
- Organization of recruitment processes through the provision of input to short-listing process, screening of candidates, setting up and participation in interview panels including documentation processing for offers and staff deployment.
- In liaison with the COP, local country insurance brokers, and IDG HR Business partner or RTI Regional Office, track Private Medical Insurance (PMI) expiry dates and follow up on renewals.
- Maintain HR (including non-personnel) files; Track and compile the project leave schedules, setting up all staff absence by receiving and filing paid time off (PTO) authorizations, performing the functions of absence monitoring and recording; Advise staff on their leave entitlements.
- Coordinates preparation of contracts of Local nationals (LNs) through timely preparation and submission of Employment Administration requests on Personnel action forms and offer request memos on RTI HIRS system : Service Now, Onbase and CONNECT.
- Provide advice and ensure proper staff performance management through RTI Dynamic Development process: Include Quality conversation, Dynamic Development (DD) quarterly Check in performance documentation of DD check in sessions, to ensure the deadlines for documentations and analyses are met.
- Assists in fostering of project staff professional development initiatives with the consultation of the HR Business Partner or Regional HR; recommending and enrolling project teams into short-term courses that are beneficial to the project and in accordance RTI University courses and individual learning plans.
- Orientation and induction focal person; Provides information to staff members on their employment conditions and entitlements, including on-entry briefings, facilitate LN orientation and file orientation reports as espoused in the project on orientation and induction.
- Track and update the project Staff Census; Maintain RTI’s projects manual and excel based personnel database and supporting use of its information by project staff for planning and administration purposes.
- Coordinate teams’ travel and activity requirements with courier, accredited travel agencies, car rental companies, hotels and other suppliers, and request for travel advance, in accordance with Finance and Administration (F&A) policies and procedures.
- Handle logistical arrangements for meetings and workshops i.e., preparation of training materials, request for workshop supplies, arrangement of travel and lodging accommodation of participants, request for cash advance, as applicable and necessary.
- Assist the project and staff in organizing official business appointments.
- Provide support to the project in producing letters and other correspondence, preparing basic tables and graphics, as needed, and in the reproduction and assembling of reports.
- Assist in the collection/collation of data or information needed in the preparation of reports, as necessary, including collection and encoding of Attendance Sheets;
- Establish and maintain an efficient filing system of project documents specific to the project according to the established filing system of the Project ;
- Coordinate the timely processing and payment of all staff travel claims, vendor and supplier payments and other transactions with Finance;
- Maintain a database of all incoming and outgoing communications; handle shipping/ mailing/ delivery of outgoing communications in coordination with courier or the Office Assistant;
- Receive telephone calls and perform reception duties, as needed, in a professional and courteous manner;
- Coordinate the day-to-day implementation of all activities;
- Prepare monthly activity plans that detail all activities and necessary resources needed for monthly activities in the fields;
- Supervision of the loading and unloading process of procurement, report on the quality, quantity of the received items, preparing the distribution documents and deliver goods against approved documentation, keeping updated electronic records on stock in use and warehouse, make periodic physical inventory checks;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Education & Experience
- Master’s degree or bachelor’s degree and 1 year of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least one (1) year related work experience in procurement, administration, operations, human resources
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years of experience, Master’s degree and 3 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least three (3) years of experience supporting or leading HR and/or administrative work for international donors, preferably USAID
- English proficiency
Skills & Abilities
Skills and abilities required to perform the essential job duties of this job are listed below. An addendum that clarifies additional skills and abilities for incumbents in this job may be used in addition to this description
- Strong interpersonal/relationship building skills
- Knowledge of the local labor law
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong influencing and coaching skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work independently and within matrix project and program teams.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Culturally sensitive and respectful.
- Demonstrates commitment to RTI’s mission, vision and values.
Physical and mental demands of this role include those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, as outlined above. Examples include: remaining in a stationary position for long periods of time; operating a computer and other office machinery; thinking, learning, and concentrating effectively and frequently communicating with other people, both within RTI and outside of RTI; frequently moving about inside and travel between offices and laboratories; frequently conducting laboratory site inspections (if applicable), ability to handle the stress associated in meeting frequent, multiple and tight deadlines, ability to work in excess of 40 hours per week as workload and deadlines may require, ability to have regular, reliable and predictable attendance.