This position is being based in the HROD department to strengthen its finance capability and to focus on extracting the maximum possible business value from the budgets managed by HROD. The role will retain close linkages to the Finance function, with cross-team collaboration and partnering being essential for success.
Purpose of Job
The Principal, HROD Budget is responsible for the management of budget for the Human Resources & Organisational Design (HROD) department and the management of the centrally managed costs HROD manages on behalf of the Bank. The role provides advice and direct support the Budget Holder, MD HROD.
The focus of the role is to maximise the business value the Bank derives from the budgets managed by HROD; own the HROD’s financial inputs into the annual Strategy Implementation Plan (SIP) process; be an effective interface between HROD and Finance; manage HROD’s centrally managed costs and drive continuous improvement.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
Accountabilities and responsibilities for this role are to be carried out with a strong degree of independence to ensure the role holder can provide impartial advice and challenge to the HROD Management Team (HRMT) and HROD’s budget holders.
Maximise value from the budget:
- Be an objective advisor to the MD HROD on all aspects of the HROD budgets (both departmental and centrally-managed) providing objective and independent analytical insight.
- Advises and robustly challenges HROD management team on maximising the value of the annual department budget (staff and non-staff costs) as well as the centrally managed budgets managed by HROD on behalf of the Bank.
- Undertakes regular reviews with delegated budget holders and presents financial performance updates during HRMT meetings
- Provides accurate, timely and high-quality forward-looking MIS and financial planning to the HROD management team for performance tracking and decision making.
- Drives improvements in performance of HROD’s delegated budget holders by providing advise/coaching and a robust level of challenge.
Own HROD’s financial inputs into the annual Strategy Implementation Plan (SIP) process:
- Engages the HRMT proactively and keep abreast of financial needs & concerns.
- Leads the planning and forecasting process for the financial elements of the SIP submission to ensure there is appropriate focus and understanding on key issues.
- Actively monitors the execution of the financial elements of the SIP, highlighting key variances to HRMT and providing rational and challenge.
- Proactively inputs into HROD’s operational workforce planning process.
Be an effective interface between HROD and Finance:
- Ensures alignment to the Bank’s internal administrative and capital expenditure budget process
- Maintains effective communication with teams in Finance to improve collaboration and alignment.
- Manages the timeliness and quality of deliverables provided by HROD to teams within Finance.
- Assesses and understands the HROD implications of changes in Finance and up-stream systems through coordination with related parties.
- Proactively collaborates with the People Analytics Team & Finance to deepen the insights into people related cost provided to key decision makers (real cost of recruitment, mobility etc).
Manage centrally managed costs:
- Day-to-day management of the centrally managed mobility and reward budgets, including: manual entries on accruals, reclassifications and ad-hoc adjustments; submission of financial returns to various internal stakeholders; descriptive analysis; production of financial commentaries etc.
- Produces SIP submissions for centrally managed mobility and reward budgets.
Drive continuous improvement:
- Improve ‘budget management’ skills and knowledge within HROD using an education, best practice approach with stakeholders.
- Proactively collaborates with HR Transformation Team to optimise financial processes with HROD, including leveraging HR ServiceNow to remove queries, and leveraging RPA to automate rules based process steps.
- Collaborates effectively with Data Owners & Stewards to drive quality of data used in financial reporting.
- Contributes as a subject matter expert to Multi Year Investment Plan projects being implemented with HROD that have finance related components.
- Directly accountable for the line management of the Assistant Analyst, HROD Budget including management of day-to-day work, performance management, engagement/wellbeing, and learning and development.
Qualifications & Skills / Experience & Knowledge
- Qualified accountant/ CFA qualified/ relevant Masters and/ or strong practical experience in finance.
- Strong accounting knowledge and financial background with significant practical experience in budget management issues.
- Proactive, problem solving approach combined with a demonstrated ability to challenge in order to deliver business results.
- Proven ability to work under high degree of independence, whilst ensuring appropriate checkpoints are in place.
- Someone who: (i) enjoys fully immersing themselves in data, business constraints, and problems they are interpreting (ii) asks questions to get at the deeper-level “why”.
- Strong stakeholder engagement skills with a focus on effective questioning and active listening skills.
- Strong attention to detail to ensure accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritise competing work activities, meet deadlines, follow through on completion of projects and embed change.
- Proven experience building productive working relationships, collaborating effectively across teams and influencing to deliver on objectives.
- Demonstrated experience supervising others with a focus on coaching for success.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working.