Job Title: Hospitality Coordinator
Reports to: Campus Operations Manager
Location: Butaro, Rwanda
This position is responsible for coordinating day-to-day campus hospitality on all items related to dining, cleaning, accommodations, special events, program logistical support, welcoming visitors and new residents, and more. Reporting to the Campus Operations Manager, the Hospitality Coordinator is required to live on the Butaro campus full time including weekends as needed.
- Act as the main liaison between UGHE operations team, the outsourced cleaning firm and dining firm, as well as campus residents when it comes to all hospitality needs;
- Manage the Butaro Campus housing assignment schedule for all students, staff, faculty, visiting faculty, visitors and programs, in coordination with both the operations and academic program teams;
- Oversee the Hospitality Assistants providing daily training, mentorship and weekly activity planning;
- Support in improving the full campus cleaning schedule in liaison with the outsourced cleaning firm supervisor and the Campus Operations Manager;
- Conduct regular checks to ensure that all rooms and units are fully prepared at least 24 hours in advance of the residents arrival;
- Conduct regular kitchen inspections at least twice a month;
- Partake in unit inspections with the student services and facilities team to ensure all housing is being maintained accordingly by UGHE and its residents;
- Create, distribute and monitor a cleaning checklist to guide the oversight for each housing unit and academic/admin building (ie cleaning checklist, supply checklist, maintenance checklist, etc.)
- Support the Campus Operations team in carrying out specific operations duties as needed (ie if a resident informs you that they have no hot water, work with the plumber to ensure it is fixed efficiently and then inform the resident once it is complete.)
- Keep a daily track record of all requests, complaints, actions taken and so on coming in to the hospitality team;
- Monitor all logged issues over time and suggest ways for improvement during weekly meetings with the Campus Operations Manager;
- Support the Campus Operations Manager in operating the Butaro Campus and hospitality related functions each day in an efficient, safe, and cost-effective manner;
- Coordinate with other Campus Operations team to ensure the hospitality team is supporting each resident and guest in the most courtesy away;
- Work with Campus leadership to set monthly hospitality priorities and determine key tasks to be done;
- Oversee and/or provide campus tours to visitors and new staff or faculty as needed;
- Assist HR in orientation of new campus residents when it comes to life on campus;
- Liaise with the cleaning firm manager on a daily basis to ensure outsourced staff are performing adequately and work schedules are harmonious – provide training and mentorship when they are not meeting expectations;
- Support in the planning and coordination of special events, academic program needs, etc.;
- Collaborate with the Campus Operations Manager and Director of Campus Operations to continually develop and improve Campus hospitality systems to better meet the needs of the residents;
- Develop a detailed technical Hospitality Manual and accompanying Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) laying out how all hospitality related functions are to operate on the campus (ie responding to resident needs in the housing, receiving visitors, etc.);
- Work closely with the Facilities team to conduct testing the functionality of the equipment installed in accommodation facilities to ensure they are in good working order after handover from the construction firm but before campus occupancy (i.e. ensuring doors and windows open correctly, water pressure is sufficient, etc.);
- As UGHE brings new housing and buildings online, oversee the increasing of contracted services as well as advice on procurement requirements;
- Assist in overseeing the budget concerning campus hospitality functions.
Procurement & Logistics
- Partake in the periodic procurement plan for the hospitality needs and all housing units as well as new ones as they are built;
- Work closely with the Warehouse and Logistics team to ensure all Campus accommodations are fully stocked with the baseline items provided by UGHE;
- Provide feedback on the selection as well as local and international procurement of hospitality related consumables, equipment, and imported goods in relation to this program;
- Ensure that UGHE’s hospitality procurement is sourced from the Butaro District as much as possible;
- Participate in the procurement needs and installations of all furniture, fixtures and equipment throughout all the housing units as well as new housing as they are built;
- Support community relations efforts by acting as another friendly face of UGHE welcoming guests and community members as needed, attending community events, striving to build and maintain excellent relationships with our neighbors in the cell, sector, and district;
- Mindful of UGHE’s commitment to the Butaro community, work with the contracted firms to continually develop initiatives to hire as many local employees as possible;
- Minimum 3-5 years work experience in hospitality or other related field.
- Experience coordinating hospitality in a university, NGO or hotel industry setting.
- Knowledge and experience in higher education or global health is mandatory; knowledge and experience in both is desired.
- Excellent communication and writing skills; ability to articulate UGHE’s and PIH’s mission and program objectives persuasively.
- Ability to serve as an external representative to government officials, UGHE partners, and donors.
- Ability to live in Butaro full time required (including weekends as needed).
- English and Kinyarwanda proficiency required; French knowledge preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to manage complex and dynamic projects from creation to completion, plan and prioritize multiple projects, and coordinate teams to meet deadlines.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff across departments and organizations.
- Demonstrated poise, tact, integrity, and professionalism.
- Interest in social justice strongly desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Applicants should provide: (1) a curriculum vitae, (2) a cover letter, (3) a personal statement addressing candidate’s experience working in a related field, (4) names and contact information of three professional references who can attest to experience in education, leadership and management experience; at least one of these references should be an immediate supervisor and (5) copies of all degrees earned and current professional certifications. Please upload your cover letter, personal statement, and proof of degrees attained as a single PDF file under “Additional Files” on the application page.