EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC) is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
Opportunity 2.0, funded by USAID, will strengthen second-chance education programs for vulnerable out-of-school youth in the Philippines. Opportunity 2.0 (02) will collaborate and work with national and local systems supporting youth in order to provide 180,000 youth with the skills and opportunities to improve their education, employment, and livelihood outcomes.
Achieving this vision will require a multi-faceted, systems-strengthening approach that aligns the formal education system, markets, and youth “sub-systems” at the regional levels. This will be achieved by providing experienced project personnel embedded in government departments; further aligning the input of technical assistance; and maximizing opportunities to bring together the respective stakeholders to identify and refine synergies and transition pathways for youth, particularly between Department of Education (DepEd)’s Alternative Learning System (ALS) program and the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA).
The Higher Education Coordinator, under the supervision of the Davao-based Senior Education and Youth Development (SEYD) Advisor, will provide technical guidance and support to the program in higher education sector engagement in O2 project sites. This will involve developing and maintaining good relationships with the appropriate personnel in universities across the whole country and providing advice and support for university-based activities involving OSY.
The Higher Education Coordinator’s specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
– Serve as the O2 main liaison with higher education stakeholders and other local partners in his/her area of responsibility to ensure close collaboration in all aspects of O2 technical programming.
– Working closely with the SEYD Advisor, plan and develop strategies to maximize engagement of higher education sector as well as gain its commitment to maintain its support for activities that support OSY.
– Support coordination activities with the O2 Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team to implement data gathering activities for progress monitoring, impact assessments, and operations research and learning purposes in his/her area of responsibility.
– Provide support for implementing workshops, forums and other learning events at the local level to disseminate results of project-wide assessments, communicate innovative approaches and good practices, and share research findings as appropriate, for the purpose of knowledge-sharing and for building or sustaining partnerships.
– Actively contribute to the project communications plan by regularly providing documentation of significant events, success stories, and other similar materials to feature in USAID weekly highlights, EDC newsletter, and for press releases.
– Preparing work plans and activity reports.
– Provide feedback on higher education sector activities and other implementation concerns at the field level.
– Provide technical inputs to O2 project team meetings and written materials for quarterly reports.
– Actively participate in fostering a collaborative environment between technical teams in the field and Admin, HR, and Finance departments.
– Comply with project and organizational policies on technical activities with regards to security, human resources, financial and grants management, the confidentiality of documents and information, and the like.
– Comply with EDC’s administrative and HR regulations, including policies and procedures on performance management and annual performance review.
A bachelor’s degree (or equivalent 4 years of relevant experience) in economics, business administration, education, social development, or related field.
Skills and Experience
– At least five (5) years relevant work experience in a project or projects like O2, with progressively increasing levels of responsibility.
– Experience with higher education sector engagement in the Philippines is highly desired.
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
– Able to work independently and in a team environment.
– Demonstrated capacity for coordination, networking, and task management.
– Excellent people skills at all levels, cultural sensitivity and the ability to work in a multicultural work environment.
– Working knowledge of MS Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, PPT).
– Willingness to work and travel in all O2 project areas.
Fluency in English, Filipino, and working knowledge of local language and dialect(s).
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please. Open to Filipino Nationals only.
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring a highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits.