Job title: Health Economist Consultancy
Department: Reproductive Health and Family Planning
Based in Washington, DC or remote
Reports to the Deputy Director, Adolescents 360
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a motley group of entrepreneurs and professionals with a diverse range of backgrounds all the way from the medical industry to the music business, all with unique skills we bring to the job.
Partner with us!
Launched in January 2016, Adolescents 360 (A360) is a four-and-a-half year project aimed to increase access to and uptake of voluntary modern contraception among adolescent girls (15-19 years old) in Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Tanzania. PSI leads A360 with a core consortium of partners that brings together leading experts in public health, social marketing, human-centered design, developmental science, and cultural anthropology.
Our hypothesis is that through a fusion of these disciplines, combined with meaningful engagement of young people in all phases of the project, we will catalyze a series of novel approaches to program design and delivery that can be replicated and scaled by partners and governments around the world.
- Close attention is being paid to A360’s cost-effectiveness. This is currently measured as cost per girl aged 15-19 that voluntarily adopts a modern method of contraception.
- Cost-effectiveness benchmarks have been provided to A360 from AYSRH interventions implemented by other organizations.
- The donors are funding ITAD, Avenir Health, and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine to conduct an external evaluation of A360. This includes cost- effectiveness.
A360 is seeking a health economist to review its current approach to calculating cost- effectiveness and make recommendations to A360.
Sound like you? Read on!
20 days have been allocated to this. These are provisionally broken down as follows:
- Orientate oneself to A360
- Review A360’s cost per methodologies, analyze how robust these are, and make recommendations on how they could be improved
- Review A360’s projections, analyze how robust these are, and make recommendations on how they could be improved
- Review current benchmarks, analyze their utility as a comparator to A360, and make recommendations on how A360 can interpret and use these benchmarks
- Identify other relevant benchmarks and make recommendations o Write up findings and recommendations to the A360 core team o Present findings and recommendations to the A360 core team
- Support implementation of the recommendations
What are we looking for?
- Significant and demonstrable experience with cost-effectiveness analyses within the SRH sector.
- Available to start and complete the consultancy within the next 3 months.
- Can work remotely; not necessary to be in Washington
Applications are currently accepted on a rolling basis.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.